MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Christine clones less expensive?  (Read 941 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
Christine clones less expensive?
« on: October 03, 2008, 07:06:19 AM »

Just wondering if anyone is up to speed on this topic. Would one that is interested in buying  a 57/58 Plymouth expect to pay less for a Christine clone than say a restored to original 57/58 Belvedere? I do not believe the value guides can help on this...Am I correct? I know the restored to original Belvederes are a real quick sale in the low 20's with most starting price tags in the mid-high 20k range. I just came up with this thought because a Christine clone came up on e-bay...has a 383..says its an 18 yr. old restored clone...Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1957-Plymouth-Fury-Belveder-Christine_W0QQitemZ170268511246QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170268511246&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:47:24 AM »

Believe it or not, the demand is so high still that the Chistine clones
bring more sometimes than the originals... many many 57 and 58 Belvy's
and even Savoys have been sacrificed to make Christines. I know a guy
in S Jersey that even cuts roofs off of 4 drs to make them. Donnie in
Tennessee at Plymouth Rock Garage is making at least 2 right now, one
will be going to England... there's been MUCH discussion on this at
FL.net, but myself I come down on the side of keep 'em original - it's
almost getting so it's hard to see a NON red & white '58... a shame
as there were so many cool colors.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:23:51 AM »

That's a nice looking car, but when considering the motor a bad clone.  "Christine" had a dual-four 350.  Fogel's has a dual-four 318.  When he takes his car to shows he will tell people the difference.

There are people who love that movie and, therefore, the car.  Think about this: how many "General Lees" are out there? 
It's green here in Chico!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »

For a man who quotes The Bible,I dont think a clone of a car that was posessed by the devil would be appropiate..Just my two cents.
However,should the car be a solid example for a decent price change the car back to original colors or make a Miss B clone
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 01:03:03 PM »

My father told me a story, about 20 years ago or so, about him being in a wrecking yard in Southern California, turning a corner, and seeing about 20 of the Christine clones from the movie in a back corner.

Spooked him a little

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 01:11:36 PM »

O boy I could on and on with this topic!   I'd say it depends on the quality of the clone. Overall, a good Christine is worth more than say a blue original, simply because of the movie.  Any car with a movie or TV heritage has more flashy appeal.  If you'd like to see the rabid enthusiasm for a nice Christine, simply read some of the comments under my videos on YouTube (mocus1).  People have offered me $50,000, "whatever you want for it", their first born child, etc. for my car.  Heck a guy even followed me over to Snotty's house once and wanted to buy her.  Mine's not an exact clone, but it is an excellent tribute car that's not original, but is restored and is period correct, but is indeed a re-creation.  Plus it's got lots of goodies like a motion detector, red neons underneath, movie music on demand from a hidden CD player etc.  In fact, the guy who sold it to me couldn't wait to sell it because he was so sick and tired of people bugging him about the car and quoting the movie verbatim.  Mine has the "Dual Fury" engine option 318 2 x4 290 hp.  A real Christine has a 350 Commando 310hp (with the 150 mph speedo).  I just need Snotty to get under there and install that new shifter cable to stop that tranny from leaking like a drunken sailor.

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 01:15:11 PM »

I get sick and tired of the "Youtube know-it alls" telling me "the real Christine was a Fury buddy, so your car is not a Christine".......I just tell them to stuff a banana in their tailpipe and do us all a favor and jump off the roof of their tenement building.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 02:59:29 PM »

Quote from: hurst1
I get sick and tired of the "Youtube know-it alls" telling me "the real Christine was a Fury buddy, so your car is not a Christine".......I just tell them to stuff a banana in their tailpipe and do us all a favor and jump off the roof of their tenement building.

Damned Kids
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 04:01:05 PM »

Robert, I like the 60 Fury you were looking at better. No matter what Fin car you have you will probably hear the "Christine" stuff. A buddy of mine has a 59 Savoy 4 door sedan that is green and he hears "Hey thats Christine right?" all the time at every show or cruise in. He loves his car but he gets real tired of hearing the Christine shtuff.

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 05:06:59 PM »

Better that than what I hear all time......

"Hey, what year is that Lincoln?"

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 06:30:21 PM »

Quote from: CBarge
For a man who quotes The Bible,I dont think a clone of a car that was posessed by the devil would be appropiate..Just my two cents.

Lea, I thought that "devil possessed car" was just pretend for the movie Is there something I need to know about?...yikes!! However, Jesus rides with me everywhere.  He loves Plymouths by the way....I know He drove Adam and Eve out of the garden in a Fury!....I have no worries...thanks for thinking of me though...I take it you don't care for red 57/58 Plymouths?? Too many of them perhaps??
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 01:10:15 PM »

Quote from: CBarge

I've never read the King novel, but the devil is not mentioned in the movie at all.   Are you projecting why the car was evil or have you read the novel.

By the way, projecting onto a subject something that is not implicit by that thing - whether a movie or a book - is to perform the opposite of exegesis and is a bad practice.

(People do it all the time with the Bible, by the way.)

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 01:13:08 PM »

Quote from: hurst1
Heck a guy even followed me over to Snotty's house once and wanted to buy her. 

Yes he did!  I remember that.  The old fart wouldn't leave us alone to do what we needed to do. 

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 01:15:06 PM »

Quote from: ardog
Robert, I like the 60 Fury you were looking at better. No matter what Fin car you have you will probably hear the "Christine" stuff. A buddy of mine has a 59 Savoy 4 door sedan that is green and he hears "Hey thats Christine right?" all the time at every show or cruise in. He loves his car but he gets real tired of hearing the Christine shtuff.

I used to get similar questions when I owned my '70 Challenger...

"That got the Hemi??  440?  383??"

"No, 225."

"What's that??"

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 02:31:21 PM »

I love the finned Plymouths.They do oooze character.
When I visited Miss B,she is a character--a real time capsule.
Rob and Snotty,sorry for my choice of words.
Stephen King's novel and the John Carpenter rendition of his book show an angry vindictive spirit in a car not the devil.
Sorry.
Besides it is fictional anyways.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC