MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headers for 62 Chrysler  (Read 1274 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
Headers for 62 Chrysler
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 11:08:28 AM »

[/QUOTE]

Butch, I likey!!  But, when I looked at the "applications," no C Body was mentioned.  Have you seen these applied to a C?
It's green here in Chico!!

Herman

• View Profile
Headers for 62 Chrysler
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 11:37:10 AM »

Shorty's mounted on the engine...

BigBlockMopar2008-09-13 16:37:51

Tony Sauer

• View Profile
Headers for 62 Chrysler
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 12:15:28 PM »

Thanks for the pics!  Are those 1 3/4 tubes?  They have got to be much better than the manifolds.  Do you see any problem in bolting up and running a 3" exhaust??

Herman

• View Profile
Headers for 62 Chrysler
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 12:26:43 PM »

1-3/4" tubes indeed.  Ofcourse not perfect for a 496" motor with alum. heads, but always better then a castiron "log" on the side.

I've connected the shorty's to a 2.5" system. I don't see why a 3" system won't work.
But I personally would then alter the very short collector of those shorty headers. The current collectors are the main bottleneck in the system I would think.
I've been comtemplating if I shouldn't modify them first before bolting them on, but I didn't give myself the time for it.
With this car, I also didn't go for every single horsepower out of the engine or otherwise I would've had to 'really' build myself a set of headers again.

Here's how the exhaust is currently running...
(quite a few bottlenecks added because of the pushed-in 2.5" bends)

BigBlockMopar2008-09-13 17:28:24

Tony Sauer

• View Profile
Headers for 62 Chrysler
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 12:47:24 PM »

(quite a few bottlenecks added because of the pushed-in 2.5" bends)[/quote]

Thats a great idea cutting off the shorty collector and adding a 3".  How long of a 3" collector do you think would fit before running into something or needing to make a turn?  Do you think there would be any clearance issues with the 3 bolt flange?  BTW, you have some great pictures to share.  Thank you!

Herman

• View Profile
Headers for 62 Chrysler
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 01:25:40 PM »

You won't be running into something when putting on a longer collector. Well maybe the ground LOL.
I would think you could fabricate a 10" long collector and still be able to fit a nice bend on it. Perhaps even weld it under a slight angle to 'point' it a little into the direction of crossmember-cutouts.

I've lowered my car about 3" all around, so I've also made sure the exhaustsystem was as close to the floorboards as possible, so it didn't hit on any speedbumps and such.

Also, next time, I will just buy a 3" mandrell bend exhaust-system from FlowMaster for instance, and make these fit under my car. The rearpart over the rearaxle is already from FlowMaster. I ordered a 2.5" axle&tailsection-exhaust for a B-body Mopar.
The exhaust is slightly too short for a C-body or any fullsize Mopar, so I put some endpieces on and all's well.
Later on I installed a set of resonators to get rid of the drone the Dynomax muffler produced inside...

BigBlockMopar2008-09-13 18:26:52

Snotty

• View Profile
Headers for 62 Chrysler
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 09:47:57 AM »

Do you have pictures of those clearing your power steering unit?

Thanks.
It's green here in Chico!!

Herman

• View Profile
Headers for 62 Chrysler
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 12:33:50 PM »

With 'those', you mean the shorty's?
There's a pic on page 2 from beneath, showing the pitman-arm.
With the shorty's the exhaust is no-where really near the PSU.

As some might recall, I have been busy with making custom headers on my '64 Chrysler NY.
But I deep-sixed that for the time being when I wasn't pleased at how the tubes where located near the PSU.

Some pics of that project:

BigBlockMopar2008-09-15 17:34:31
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC