MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adjusting front end height  (Read 648 times)

Tim Kelly

• View Profile
Adjusting front end height
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:53:58 AM »

I had my Imperial out over the weekend and noticed the driver side of the car is a little lower than the passenger side while looking at the car from the front. In addition, when looking at the car from the side, the front end on both sides sits a little lower than the back. I would like to heighten the front of the car so the body is level from front to back.
I found the adjustment section in the manual, but it doesn't indicate what the height level should be. Does anyone have any advise in this area? Also, should the front end be off or on the ground when making adjustments to the front end?

1972 Imperial 2 Door Hard Top
1969 Chrysler 300 Convertible
2006 Chrysler Hemi C

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 08:23:08 AM »

the T Bar Height is defined in the alignment specs.  I forgot what it is off the top of my head.  Mopars are supposed to have a little rake to them anyway, but should be level side to side.

Before you jump into adjusting, crawl under there and look at the lower bushings.  Usually they will dive like that when the bushing is going bad.  It's a very small area you have to look in.  The bushing is in the control arm and is facing forward.  You have to peer in between the frame and the arm around the forward shaft.  If you see rubber popping out, you are wasting your time.

T Bars don't degrade like coil or leaf springs do.  They do weaken, but it takes allot longer.  Good bushings will keep the bars pristine.

The bushings are "cheap" and not that hard to do. . .  It's allot of heavy work.  A Press and a shaft removal tool is needed.  But the shafts can be pressed out too.  If you are going that route, I strongly reccommend the Justsuspensions bushings.  Much nicer than the Moog and will restore that new car ride better. 

May as well put in a new set of shocks too
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Tim Kelly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 09:19:01 AM »

Thanks Steve.  Next time I get under the car, I'll take a closer look at the lower bushings. BTW, I just changed all shocks (Monroe Sense-a-trak on the front and Monroe Matic on the rear). I called my pal at the auto parts store where I bought the shocks and he quoted me a price of $21.75 for the lowers, seems like a good price.
1972 Imperial 2 Door Hard Top
1969 Chrysler 300 Convertible
2006 Chrysler Hemi C

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:29:52 AM »

Yes it is.  But from experience, they don't hold up as well as the ones from Justsuspension.  I was disappointed in the Moog.  Died in a year on me.  Both sides.  I just replaced them in March and I don't feel the car degrading like I did with the Moog. 

The difference is the Moog is made off shore.  Justsuspension parts are US made.  As far as I am concerned, the extra 20 Bucks sold me.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 07:36:47 PM »

Maybe less donuts for the driver 

Every picture of a 2 door 72-73 Imperial I have ever seen had the front low and the rear high....raked

At least it means our leaf springs are still good

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC