MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 69 Fury drum to disc conversion  (Read 670 times)

Mark

• View Profile
69 Fury drum to disc conversion
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:33:46 AM »

I never considered swapping my power drums for discs until I just acquired a 77 New Yawker...  I know this has been covered and asked and answered before, but some men ya caint reach....   Will the 77 disc set up transfer to my 69? Spindles, booster and all?

While I got yer attention, what about the steering box? Will it swap over? 
Jake's A body will fit in my C body's trunk!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 10:02:44 AM »

Not knowing for sure the dimensions of the steering knuckles on that '77, but I'd say yes.  You will need to get a Disc-specific Master Cylinder (new) and a proportioning valve from a  donor car.  Some will tell you the booster shouldbe swapped, but I've had no problems using my drum booster - even in panic mode.

As for the steering box, the one in my old '62 was the same as I had in my '84 Fifth Avenue.  I'm willing to bet the one on your '69 would be the same as the one on the '77.

Other might make some corrections to what I've offered.
It's green here in Chico!!

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »

The box probably should (qualified, probably).  You might see about getting the latest Mopar Action issue (Dec. '08) as there's a great general article on steering upgrades.

The '77 brake/knuckles would not work since the geometry and ball joints were changed in 1974.  The cut-off is 1973, since that is the last year the geometry and lower ball joints were the same for our C-bodies.  The MC might work, dunno for sure though.

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 05:12:49 AM »

The Geometry is different.  They'll go in, but they won't align properly.  I don't think the holes for the lower ball joint will bolt up either.

You can use 71 or 72, they use the expensive 2 piece rotors.  Or 73 if you can find a set with the less expensive 1 piece rotors.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:17:54 AM »

Here's a thought/question: Can the upper and lower control arms from the '77 be used on the mounting points of the '69?  If so, then all else could be swapped as well - upper and lower knuckles, tie-rods, etc.  If this job were to be done properly, all of that should be removed for new bushings, etc.  Therefore, swapping the control arms would not be that difficult, unless they cannot be mated with the torsion bars and upper mounting points.

How about it?
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:34:16 PM »

Good Point.  Never tried it.  But there are a few members with late 70's cars. . .

I think the biggest difference is the steering.  But you have a good point.

Hey Stan!  Can you compare an earlier to later front end on one of yours?

Obsa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 01:38:12 PM »

I too am interested in the details of this swap. Would it work to swap all pieces of a 78 Plymouth Sport Suburban Wagon onto the front of my 1960 Fury? Anyone tried this before?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 01:43:43 PM »

Quote from: Obsa
I too am interested in the details of this swap. Would it work to swap all pieces of a 78 Plymouth Sport Suburban Wagon onto the front of my 1960 Fury? Anyone tried this before?

I suppose it could be done, but I know you are going to run into steering problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC