MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Low Voltage Issues  (Read 1978 times)

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 01:35:08 AM »

Quote from: carrman
Ooooooh, oooooh let me field this one!QUOTE]

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 05:35:49 AM »

Great...  now I'll have that theme song stuck in my head ALL DAY   Thank-You Lea

What is your alternator output when different accessories are being used?  Find someone to sit in the car and flip switches while you watch the multi meter.  It could be as simple as a weak alternator.  The later 60-amp "square backs" work better with electronic ignition and are less expensive than the stock one.
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »

read the voltage at the battery and inside the car as well.

You can get rebuilts up to 65 amps now.  However, the wiring in the older 60's up to 71 was only good for 40 amps (#10 Wire).  in 72, the wire was upgraded to #8 and in 74 it went to #6 primaries.  74 was oretty much the end of primary bulkhead feed failures.  They were drastically reduced in 72, but still not eliminated.

You could run a 2nd #10 direct from the alternator to the starter relay.  It will disable your ammeter on the dash though
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 07:28:13 AM »

either way, you still need to check the bulk head and alt output of the alt.

Good call Dave

Ken

• View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 07:45:19 PM »

I just dealt with a crapped-out alternator with Chaz.  I already have had a jumper wire put in from the output of the alt to the starter relay, to help limit the load to the ammeter in the dash, but I was noticing the blower speed of the fan was WAY slow and the headlamps were dim.

I did a test where I had the '04 Armada supplying power to the Chrysler with jumper cables, both vehicles running, and I found the electronic voltage regulator was not seeing much over 10v, but the battery was seeing 13.5v due to the Armada's charging system.

I also did a quick "listening test" of the alternator using a long Philip's screw-driver as the stethoscope, and heard a bearing growl at the rear of the case. I was pretty sure at that point it was

I searched online for a local source for a single-field alternator, and supposedly a Kragen's in the area actually had one.  When I went to pick it up, I asked to have it verified for proper operation with their tester, and either due to the unit not having the proper adapter or the alternator actually had a faulty diode set, it failed.

They did have a '70-up 2 field alternator, which passed when tested, so I got that instead, thinking the 60A output wouldn't hurt.

After taking out the dead alternator, I noticed one of the diode sets was actually shifting in the case , so it definitely was toastado

After I swapped over a spacer to the new alternator, and fashioned a jumper to ground the 2nd field, everything was MUCH better, with a 12.7v reading being the lowest I could see on my DVOM with the engine running and the highbeams and AC on, and 13.5V when idling.

Now I need to find a core to give back to Kragen's!

Tomorrow I'll drop Chaz off at a recommended shop for optimizing the fuel and timing.

Moesy2008-08-14 00:46:09
'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Steve

• View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 09:13:09 AM »

Sorry for the delay responding. I haven't investigated the SF yet and didn't realize you guys were still hashing it out until just now. I'll start with the alternator and work from there.

If I need a new alternator, what should I get? I can't tell which you folks recommend. I'd rather not have to re-wire the charging circuit if at all possible. I also don't want to lose my ammeter either. (not too demanding, eh)

Thanks guys. I trust your opinions and will follow your recommendations.

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 12:24:09 PM »

45 Amp if you can get it.  Most I see are 65.  But that will work

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »

When I bought my '66 NYer in 1990 it already had the square-back alternator installed.  I drove the car with the original wiring for over ten years without an issue!

If you order an alternator for a slant-six D-100 with electronic ignition it will be the same as what I had in that car.
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Steve

• View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 05:16:11 AM »

UPDATE

Just keeping you all up to speed (if I haven't lost you all from boredom).

Alternator output is good;voltage regulator output is good. As a stop-gap measure, a friend designed a simple circuit to deliver the 12V  that the ECU want. We connected +VBAT to a Bosch-style relay, connected the wire that was previously connected to the feed-side of the ballast resistor to the relay output and used the feed-side of the ballast resistor (which is ignition-switched) as the relay switch.

An complete success!!! The engine idled smoothly as never before. It was clearly loving its new 12V diet. I couldn't wait for the test drive. Even though it was drizzling, my freind and I took her out.

What a HUGE performance difference!!! The engine was now developing power! As I was turning around at the end of the unpopulated dead-end road I selected for a test track, the car sputtered and stopped!!

Long story short, evidently there is a LOT of crap in the fuel tank. Enough to screw up my fuel pump. I limped her home with a siphon line from a 5 gal. gas can to the carb. the longest 2 mile drive of my life.

I'm not too upset. The car ran incredibly well until this unrelated issue. Because I see some weeping around the seam of the tank, I've decided she needs a new fuel tank. While I'm at it, I suppose I should replace the sending unit as well. And if I'm gonna go that far, I might as well replace all the fuel line too. It looks like a hodgepodge of previous repairs anyway. I bought 20' of 5/16" steel line, some unions and a tube bending tool. I removed the fuel pump and managed to get that working properly again. Since it's brand-new, I'm not going to replace it.

I see a guy on ebay selling new fuel tanks for my car. He wants $295+S&H. Is this a good price? Anyone else selling these?

Things I learned yesterday:
1) the 440HP makes alot of power.
2) a 2.76 rear-end ratio may be great for cruising and fuel economy, but sucks for everything else.
3) this car is going to suck the financial life out of me.

One day I'll post nothing but 100% good news.......but not today.

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 02:15:05 PM »

Steve

Trials and tribulations of getting a car going. . .

I had a relay in the back of my mind for that, but waited to see what you came up with.  Glad that worked out.

Remember, these things are refered to as a big boat.  Boats are holes in the water you pour money into.  But if you use quality parts up front, and do the job right, the spending stops.

Who's the seller of that tank on RGay?

Steve

Steve

• View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 12:42:17 PM »

Mitchell MOtor PARts

(no words;beat....must sleep)

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 01:21:39 PM »

There has to be some place else to get it.  Mitchells is bad

Steve

• View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 04:10:58 PM »

This is why you're loved by millions!

Suggestions?

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Ken

• View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 06:58:56 PM »

I got my tank from Mitchells, plus the grommet.  Had them installed 2 years ago. Hey, sometimes you do what you have to do.

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Low Voltage Issues
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 05:30:23 AM »

Yeah two years ago Mitchells was bad.  But they have changed hands and are worse now.  See all those negitive feed backs?  One of them is mine.  I got my tank for Polaraco from them too!  But they hosed me
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC