MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My Disk Brake Ordeal finally Ended! (Long)  (Read 714 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
My Disk Brake Ordeal finally Ended! (Long)
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:42:28 AM »

When I starter the job of swapping my drums for disks I thougth it would take several days.  After all, It took me two days to do the same on the Gremlin project, and they had sold me the wrong calipers.

So, on July 14 I started.  I had purchased a '73 disk set-up on ebay.  I tore it all apart.  A buddy sand-blasted the knuckles, brake plates, and mounting brackets.  I purchased new rotors, pads, and calipers.  I had been told that I could use the same brake hoses, either by someone on this site or another.  Since mine were two years old I welcomed the savings.

So, how'd things go?

July 14: removed all drums, backing plates, and steering knuckles.  Discovered I had a bad ball-joint on passenger side.  Stopped working and went to oildale Auto PArts for new BJs.

July 15: Back to Oildale for new BJs and then to Richard's to borrow BJ removal socket from Chris "the Doctor" Fredricksen.  Back to house, removed and replaced ball joints.  Attached disk knuckles and torqued them.  All went well.  Installed new, Passenger side rotor.  Rotor would not mount correctly - it would stop when properly tightened and cotter pin would not fit if rotor could spin.  Wrong!  Doctor Chris came by.  After inspecting adn comparing the new stuff with the old, rusty rotos, he tells me they are from a '71, not a '73.  He also says they are bloody expensive!

July 16: Back to Oildale.  Mike coughs when he sees the price for one rotor.  Orders me one to make sure it would fit.  I go have lunch with Frances and MAriah and enjoy the day.  Rotor arrives by the time we return.

July 17: Rotor fits!  I call Mike and tell him.  He orders second rotor; tells me it will be in on Friday.  With that news I start to install caliper on PAssenger side.  It won't fit!  It's very tight and I don't know why!  In frustration, I quit and take my shower.  We go out to dinner and a movie - I'm on vacation!!!

July 18: Go to Oildale and pick up new rotor.  Mike's on vacation.  Russ said to square with him when he comes back a week from Friday.  I go home and attempt to install that caliper again.  I stop, and install driver's rotor instead.  Goes on great.  I then install driver's side caliper - it fits like a glove!  I remove it and put it on the P side.  It fits like a glove there too!  I campare it to the P side caliper - it's too freakin small!!!!  I finish the d side and go back to oildale.

July 21: Go to Oildale and swap calipers.  Something looks wrong.  I compare it to the one I'm returning; the new one is a D side caliper!

July 22: Back to Olidale and pick up correct caliper.  I also get ten new chrome, right-threaded wheel nuts.

July 25: Attempt to install P side caliper.  Won't mount.  Try repeatedly.  Won't mount.  Get pissed!  Go to driver's side to install brake hose.  Discover that what I had been told was wrong!!  BAck to Oildale to get disk hoses.  They will be in on Saturday.  I go home and swap out rear left-threaded studs.  Thanks to Fogel who bought a set two years earlier!  Mount rear tire and quit.

July 26: Pick up new hoses at Oildale.  Don't do any work because we are having my B-Day party that nigth and we had to clean the house and get ready.

Aug. 1: Start the day by trying to install the P caliper.  It will not work!  I look under the car at the mounting holes - they're off line!  I compare the caliper to the original one - the blocks are too large on the new one!  I grind them down - it fits!  Hooray!  Now, time to put on new brake hoses - they're too short!  Holy Sh**!!  Grab old hose from parts box and go to Oildale.  Order new hoses and tell them I'll get them at the warehouse!  I pay the bill: $445.00!  Chris was right!  Pick up the hoses and install them.  Great!  Go to swap in the prop valve I picked up at a junk yard two eyars ealier.  Strip one of the brake hose ends on original valve!  Quit for the night!

Aug. 2: Take off fender well to get to prop valve.  Wished I had done so yesterday!  Succesfully remove brake lines and swap valves.  Re-install disk valve and attach all lines.  Install new Disk MAster Cylinder and bleed.  Attach brake lines to MC and bleed alll brakes with help form Frances.  Everything works!   Praise be to God!!!!  Go to Oildale and buy new nuts/bolts to install sway bar.  Get back hoe and install bar.  Start to re-install the fender well and body starts cramping.  Quit for the night.

Aug. 3: head to Wasco at 9:15.  Preach.  Get home, eat, take Sunday nap.  4:15, back out to the garage.  Put fender well back on.  Re-tighten torsion bar bolts.  Install and torque front tires.  Start car, drive car out of garage.  Brakes working.  Go forward and backwards several times in front of home - brakes working.  Drive around block - brakes working well with no fade (always had a fade to the left before).  I like them!  Go back home and put tools away and clean garage.  Push gremlin back in and kiss wife!  Jonb completed!

That's my saga!  I NEVER thougth it would take so long.  Glad it's over.

By the way, as per a question on another thread, I did not need to swap my booster, and I'm as happy as a clam!!!

Sorry this was so long.
It's green here in Chico!!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 10:01:35 AM »

"Happy as a Clam" or happy as the only shrimp that got away?

Thanks for sharing your ordeal with us brother Snotts!  As always you are an inspiration.  I never swapped drums for discs but there are many here that will learn from your experience (pics would help a little too... hint, hint... )

Great job
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 10:51:11 AM »

Wow, what an ordeal!

Snotty, you really are a man of the cloth. If that happened to me, with my tendency to get very vocal in such situations, I would have been zapped if I even got near a church - never mind having to preach a sermon!

Don't forget to revisit your work in a couple of weeks and check all the bolts for the correct torque.

I'm getting ready to install the rear disc set I bought for my car, hopefully everything will fit first time around.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:56:56 PM »

Ain't nothing like stock...

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 02:38:05 PM »

Quote from: Commando1
Ain't nothing like stock...

It's all a matter of perspective.  Since these are from a '71 C Body, it is "stock."  If you mean "original," I'll stick with these; they stop better.

Matt, I do have pictures; I took quite a few.  I can downlaod them and send them to you as I can't seem to figure out how to make them work on this site.  Let me know.

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »

Send yer pics Scott!  I'll put them up for you.
Matt

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:03:03 PM »

Hokey SMOKES, Scott!  And to think reading some of the Old Testament was a bit involved with the "thee's, thou's" and such!

Glad you were persistent enough to get it all sourced out and working correctly

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 03:08:35 PM »

It probably took a little help Moe...

Matt

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 04:31:32 PM »

Here's a theological question....
If there is a God, why did he test our Snotts so much on a simple brake swap? And on his birthday yet? And after his operation no less?  And why "Praise be to God" when he strung ya along with all the dead ends?

It's like the football player who exclaims that God helped his team win. While the other team got to be foresaken.....

= Dodge Demon

stitcherbob2008-08-04 21:34:14
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 04:40:13 PM »

Duster "Twister" just like the above storm cloud might bringeth.... 
Matt

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 08:20:29 PM »

Bobby, Hobby's notes on this site says "no religious discussions."  I am assuming your questions are made with your tongue clearly in your cheek.

However....

In the Bible only two people are tested by God; Abraham (in Genisis) and the Devil (in Job).  That's hardly a pattern.  So, I would ask, "Why do so many people think God is testing them when things don't go right?"  Second question, "Where is the promise of 'all good things' in the Bible?"

Now, as for the "Praise be...," the Bible clearly says the "Give thanks in all things."  That one I do try to practice.

Finally, if my salvation was based on my, or other's, successes in this life, I'd be an Athiest.  Instead, I kind of like the God who offers salvation "...while I am yet a sinner."  That's a promise of a great hope!  I'm a loser, but in God I win!  I LIKE THAT!

For more insight, see my website at...

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 09:57:08 AM »

Hey!  Allred!!!  Sunday was two days ago!      I fell asleep in your sermon .      

See now if you were here in New Jorsey, that would have been done on the 14th!  But then again I allow for who was doing the job. 

Seriously, I am gald you got it straightened out
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 11:11:47 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO

You should be - you're getting the leftovers! 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 11:32:52 AM »

Left Overs  Yum Yum
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 01:14:35 PM »

After your ordeal,Scott maybe I'll stick with my drums!!! I want discs in a bad way but the drums are on and they do work. I too have the 69-72 spindles and a scarebird kit(thanks Moe!!) I'm still debating on which way to go.
ardog2008-08-05 18:17:50
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC