MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which transmission will bolt up?  (Read 1408 times)

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Which transmission will bolt up?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 04:25:52 PM »

You will have to go uptown....I won't do it to that car!

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »

Quote from: stitcherbob
You will have to go uptown....I won't do it to that car!

Chicken
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 05:54:36 PM »

I still haven't gotten a firm answer if a 518 will bolt right  though.  I think Rich said yes, but I have to check with him .

POLARACO2008-08-05 22:55:33

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 06:33:42 PM »

Quote from: fury fan
I have to admit I'm in favor of a clean 5.7 conversion into a 4-dr C-body.  It will make jealous / piss off the A-B-E guys, and I think that is a worthwhile thing to do.

I agree, but use a high-mileage car in need of work, not a 17,000 mile original.
It's green here in Chico!!

fury fan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 02:44:43 AM »

I agree they can be original only once, but let's face it, it will still be in good condition, still be a time capsule, and would have a powerful, fuel-efficient engine.  Some folks would say that's a win-win. 

Also, in doing this on a car in poorer condition could add another $5000 to the overall cost - he's got to buy another car, then perhaps do rust repair, paint, interior, brakes, etc.  Plus he has another car to store and take care of.

And based on Polaraco's past effort with the Maggie, this car would turn out fabulous.    
65 300L (former California car, solid but needs cosmetics)
65 Sport Fury project (orig 4spd car)
68 Fury III 2dr (440 transplant)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 03:27:59 AM »

There's pros and cons boys.

First let's get the answer to the original question.  I have to figure out what this wil cost..

POLARACO2008-08-06 08:29:46

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 06:25:45 AM »

Yes....A 518 will bolt up.   As long as it's a SB bolt pattern they'll all bolt up,   518, 904, 727 etc.

Takes a conversion plate for the converter if I remember right is all.    Check these guys out....
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

They've done dozens of conversions & have it all worked out.    Their latest catalog shows a 6.1 into a 66 Belvedere that had a 318/727.   They used the original SB 727 in that one.

They have mounts for the popular cars but if you look at what they've made it wouldn't be hard to make em' for the C-body.    Oil pans are usually changed to a Charlies unit since the stock Hemi won't work in our old chassis.   Gotta watch what oil pump  style is on the motor, the Truck versions seem to fit better from reading thru, thry're angled slightly.    The drive-by-wire is an issue to be addressed but they ust the Signal conversionbox with a Lokar cable to run it.

They tell you tomake sure to get the Vin # off the vehicle you pull the 5.7 out of for info on later programming & maybe wiring support.

They sell complete packages or just support for a JY engine swap,   Saw them at the SR nats & got a catalog.    Lots of good info there.  Call em' up & get a catalog just to look & maybe pick their brain some.    Would get ya info what issues you'd have with the swap before hand.

Oh,  yes the trucks got the MDS around 05' I think.    Might be 06, we've got a relative that bought a used 1500 & it has it but I never got an exact year.

Butch

HemiFury2008-09-12 11:39:21
68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC