MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: LOOOONG TF Shifting issue.!  (Read 2780 times)

Steve

• View Profile
LOOOONG TF Shifting issue.!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 01:35:01 PM »

My granddaughter's 1st birthday party kept me from working on the car today BUT I was looking through the carb manual and I see that I have my vacuum advance connected to the wrong nipple. there are 2 different 3/16" vacuum ports; a "timed vacuum" port for emissions-controlled engines and a "manifold vacuum" port for non-emissions controlled engines. I have mine connected to the "timed vacuum" port. Now I will correct this as soon as I can (tomorrow AM), but could this be causing my problem?

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 01:47:26 PM »

YUP....

Don't feel too bad, I've done that as well...
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 01:53:47 PM »

Man, did you just make my day (and possibly tomorrow)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....and the award for Dumb-Ass Mistake of the Year goes to......
Uncle Hulka!!!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 03:46:18 PM »

CBarge2008-08-02 20:48:52
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2008, 10:37:36 AM »

My day has not been made :-( Switched vac ports;Stumble remains, but I'll get back to that in a bit.

Using the FSM, I went through the throttle linkage adjustment procedure. I moved the 'throttle' lever on the transmission to its full forward position and wired it in place.

I inserted a 3/16 alignment tool through the bellcrank as shown in the FSM. NOTE: In order to insert this tool, I had to disconnect the rod connecting the trans to the throttle linkage.

The FSM says that the length of this rod must be adjusted so that the 'socket' on the end is lined up and able to engage the 'ball' on the throttle linkage ("....with slight down pressure" says the FSM). ONE SMALL PROBLEM. I run out of threaded rod before proper alignment is possible!!! WTF!!!

I adjusted it the best I could and completed the rest of the procedure without incident. A test drive reveals that I am on the right track with the shifting issue. The shifts are happening quicker. The trans will now kick-down at about 50%-60% throttle.

So what the hell is going on with that rod I can't adjust? I am stumped on that one. There is no way that the ball is in the wrong location as there are no adjustments for it (and is bracket is beefy as hell). The rod sure looks original and factory-made. The 'throttle' lever on the trans is in the proper location for the alignment procedure, so it's not like I can buy any more length there!

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? If so, what am I doing wrong?

But back to the stumbling issue.

I might have something here. I made sure the timing was at 5° and I set the idle to 650 RPM. The motor ran rough at that speed, but stayed running. When I got behind the wheel to take it out, I put my foot on the brake to put it in gear and the car stalled.

hmmnnnn.

I restarted the car, put my foot on the brake and the engine starts running really rough and stalls again.

i'm onto something

Restart and I lightly press the brake pedal with no change. As I press harder all of a sudden the engine starts running rough. Foot off the pedal and it smooths out.

A-Ha!

I watch the ammeter at I hit the pedal, the ammeter drops 50% to discharge! Foot off the pedal and it returns to its normal position and the engine smooths out.

OK. More tests. With the engine running I started to turn things on one at a time:
Headlights on > ammeter drops a bit and returns to normal (no engine change).

Heater fan on high > ammeter drops a bit and returns to normal (no engine change).

Hazard lights on > ammeter drops a bit and returns to a little less than normal (no engine change).

Stock AM Radio on > ammeter stays at previous level (no engine change).

Moment of truth. Hit the brakes and engine stumbles and stalls.

Now since I have manual brakes, it's not a vacuum leak. All that's left that could effect the engine is the brake light circuit. My rather unscientific (but nonetheless revealing) tests have indicated the presence of either a significant short in the brake light circuit or the movement of the brake pedal itself is shorting a wire. The resulting low voltage is obviously causing problems for the ECM (you see, I do read other threads).

No time to investigate further today, but should be able to get to it this week.

Boy this has been a serious PITA (Pain In The A$$).

Thoughts? Opinions? I can't wait to hear what you all think

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2008, 06:53:44 PM »

When you installed your electronic ignition,where did you get your feed for the box?? Is it hot all the time?
Just brain storming,eh?
 UUrrp

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 02:12:03 AM »

Hi CBarge,

The box is located on the front side of the radiator support. Reading here, I learned of how heat-sensitive it is and figured this is the absolute coolest place to mount.

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2008, 05:38:55 AM »

Yesterday, I drained all the transmission fluid including the torque converter. The good news is that the fluid looked and smelled just fine. I did find a sludge-like substance in the bottom of the pan. I will guess this is clutch material. I adjusted both bands (they were both significantly out of adjustment), mounted the pan and then set my sights on the throttle linkage issues mentioned earlier in this thread.

A more thorough investigation revealed that the vertical linkage rod had been bent at some point, effectively shortening its length. This explains why I was unable to correctly adjust this part of the linkage. With the bend removed I was then able to follow the factory adjustment procedure perfectly. 9 quarts of ATF later I'm ready to test her out.

HUGE IMPROVEMENT! The car shifts properly and at the appropriate speeds. Kick down happens at the right points as well. What a difference!

With the transmission issues settled, I have to move on to an electrical issue. I'm going to start a new thread in the Electrical section where it belongs, but before I go, I want to thank everyone for their help. Because of the knowledge and encouragement I have found here, I am doing things I never would have had the courage to attempt before.

Here's to you all (glass raised)! My deep appreciation goes out to you!

Now, whoever is willing to help me through this, I'll see you in the Electrical Section. I think I'll title the thread "Low Voltage Issues".

See you there!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »

I haven't been following this too much. . . I've only been skimming most of the threads.

The sludge is normal.  If there was tiny flecks of brass in it, very small amounts is normal as well.  It's the aluminum you need to watch out for in the pan.

Never really thought about the kick down linkage. . .good advice on their part.  I was assuming this degraded over time.

Glad you got the big bucks in shape for a few sheckles.  Just curious if you used the pan gasket we suggested.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2008, 03:21:38 PM »

Hi POLARACO,

I went to NAPA and bought a trans filter and gasket and a case of fluid. I opened the box for the filter/gasket and laid the gasket out on the counter. To my untrained eye, it didn't look right to me. I asked the counter man to check and confirm this was the right part. He looked at the computer and declared that it was the correct part for a TorqueFlite. I took him at his word and went home. Once home I went on the net and found an image of a TF gasket..........COMPLETELY WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was furious. If I had just taken the part home and then realized it was wrong, I would've assumed half the responsibility for the error. But the fact that I asked him to double-check the part and he STILL missed it........well, that just put a little more frosting on my cupcake (don't ask me what that means; I'm ranting!)

Next morning, less than 12 hours later, I'm making the 25-mile trip again. A different counter man was there and was really helpful. Evidently, the other guy transposed some numbers and I ended up with some GM part. The correct filter/gasket combo was presented and after getting the difference in price, I got the heck out of there.

I had asked the first guy if they had cork gaskets available and he said no. I never asked the 2nd guy about the gasket.

No leaks so far.

Lucky?

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile