MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LOOOONG TF Shifting issue.!  (Read 2798 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
LOOOONG TF Shifting issue.!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 02:06:07 PM »

Quote from: CBarge
The gasket that I am talking about is NOT for the convertor.
The said gasket is a Mopar dealer piece.It is used on the tranny pan of newer style overdrive trannies in the Ram trucks equipped with the A518 (which is an OD727 unit.) It fits older 727 units.
Worth the few extra bux and seals up much better than the cheapo cork or black gasket that comes in a filter kit,IMO.
I do not have the Mopar part # but I can get it tomorrow.

Those suckers are great! 

The 518 will go to a 727 and the 500 will go to a 904 and they are reuseable.  Don't need allot of torque either
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 02:12:52 PM »

[/QUOTE]

There are no failures.  These are Mopars.      

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 02:20:30 PM »

Love it.......love it.

BTW, The trans shift lever (column shift) has a really sloppy feel to it. does anyone sell a bushing kit for the linkage? (could this be a clue as to the source of the problem?)

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »

It could if it's not fully engaged.  But typically they would fall into the proper detent on the trans once you start moving around.

Set the parking brakes and chock the wheels.  Or have someone hold the brakes, or both

put the car in neutral and start the car.

reach down to the lever and pull it into gear.  check the pointer and see where it's pointing.
Then push down.  Check again.

Try to be as gentle as you can or you'll jump through several positions.

This will check the dash pointer and see if it is in proper position.  It could be the loosness you feel is in the column wear.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »

[/QUOTE]

No one answered your last question.  No special tools are required.  I use a crescent wrench on teh larger nut and the correct size boxed-end wrench on the smaller one. 

It's not tough to do.  You loosen the lock nut (the larger one) and then tighten down the smaller nut.  Once it seats, you BACK IT OFF as per the instructoions for your transmission.  Do not argue with the book!  (You said you have a service manual - use it.)  There are specific instructions for both the Kickdown band and the low/reverse band.  Then re-tighten the lock nut and you're finished.

If you don't back those off your trans will not operate.  I learned this the hard way.  Luckilly no damage occured, but the car did not go anywhere either!

HAve fun!
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 03:11:23 PM »

POLARACO, I'll check. there's a feeling of slop and no really sharp sense of the detents. That's why I was curious about re-bushing the linkage

Snotty, I gotta tell you, you are definitely encouraging. Hey, before last week, I had never worked on a rear-end or differential. Now I have a leak-free rear and pinion! Maybe I can work a little magic on the trans after all. First I want to see if the linkage in misadjusted and could be causing the problem.

You guys ROCK!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 10:09:23 AM »

Quote from: Uncle Hulka
Snotty, I gotta tell you, you are definitely encouraging.

That's what I live for!! 

A few yerars ago I had a Cordoba with a bad AC.  I was going to take it to a shop to have the repairs done.  By buddy "Big John" Hutchings said, "Fix it yourself.  It's like anything else; you remove the bad parts and install the good.  Then get it filled with freon.  You can do it!"  I had never touched an AC in my life!  I was frightened to do so.  Since John said that to me I have rebuilt the AC units on that Cordoba and on my Newport.

There was a time I would not touch transmissions either.  Now I perform regular service on all of my cars, and did so on Fogel's Hurst and my good friend's Cirrus.

Next thing you know you'll be doing the same to your Buddy's cars!

You can do it! 

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »

Confidence is building as we speak. I will study the FSM on the linkage adjustment procedure (I think that's the problem since I already solved one problem due to improper linkage).

Can I get a trans filter at NAPA? Will they have the GOOD pan gasket referenced earlier in this thread or do I have to go to a dealership? What is the best kind of trans fluid to get?

If I need anything else let me know please.

This car is gonna be so freakin' sweet when I'm done! I won't have any gas money, but it'll look great in the garage!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 03:44:54 PM »

The tranny kits at NAPA will have the cork/rubber gasket, but they work just fine.  Those are the same as what you will find in any other aftermarket partz house but the NAPA kit includes an A904 gasket too, but you'll know what one to use.  These kits are about 8 bucks.  Regular ol' mercon III tranny fluid will fill er' back up.  Get a case if you plan on draining the torque convertor, as you will need it.

Aside from the predictable giant mess, changing a tranny filter is easy just as Snotty said.  Wear an old shirt!  When the pan is back on put six quarts of new fluid down the tube and use the dipstick to guage the level.  Remember what Herman said about checking while HOT and in neutral.

It's like falling into bed.....  (You shoulda' seen me the first time I had to set mechanical lifters/tappets by myself...  that's another story)
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »

OK, Gang. Here's a question for all you TorqueFlite Brainiacs. I'm trying to diagnose a symptom and I am wondering if it could be transmission related. Here it is:

The symptom in question involves engine stumbling and sometimes stalling when the car is approaching a stop. When the engine is cold (relatively) this symptom is almost non-existent. As the vehicle warms up, the symptom gets worse to the point that when I come to a stop, the engine will more than likely stall. It starts right back up, but this is a really troubling problem. IMPORTANT NOTE: If I put it in neutral, it doesn't ever stall)

At first I thought it might be electrical, but it doesn't really act electrical. The entire ignition system has been replaced (New Distributor, coil, plugs, wires, ballast resistor, voltage regulator, for example). I know that new components can and do often fail out of the box (like my first 'orange box' ECU), but I don't think it's electrical in nature.

I then started to think it may be carburator-related. The carb is lightly used (I bought it from a very good friend of mine) and is an Edelbrock Performer 1407. I suppose a little dirt in the carb might cause this symptom, but I would think it would do it all the time and not get progressively worse as the engine gets warmer. To keep you all well informed, when I relocated the fuel filter from in front of the carb (on the hot intake manifold) to just off the pump, I noticed a rather significant amount of black 'stuff' I got from the filter (which I immediately replaced). I suppose some of this could have made its way into the carb.

That leads to my next possibility; could it be transmission-related? could something internal be sticking? That may sound like a rookie question, but I'm kind of basing this on the fact that the trans fluid level has to be checked with the trans in neutral and, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is because of the fluid-relationship between the trans and the torque converter.

I want to say that the more I drive this car, the more I love it. It rides so nicely and has great power. If I didn't have the trans shifting issues (that inspired this thread) and this stalling issue, I would be in LUST with this car!!!!!

Hope this wasn't a crazy question and I look forward to reading your wisdom.

Thanks in advance!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 05:01:59 PM »

The symptom in question involves engine stumbling and sometimes stalling when the car is approaching a stop. When the engine is cold (relatively) this symptom is almost non-existent. As the vehicle warms up, the symptom gets worse to the point that when I come to a stop, the engine will more than likely stall. It starts right back up, but this is a really troubling problem. IMPORTANT NOTE: If I put it in neutral, it doesn't ever stall)
At first I thought it might be electrical, but it doesn't really act electrical. The entire ignition system has been replaced (New Distributor, coil, plugs, wires, ballast resistor, voltage regulator, for example). I know that new components can and do often fail out of the box (like my first 'orange box' ECU), but I don't think it's electrical in nature.
I then started to think it may be carburator-related. The carb is lightly used (I bought it from a very good friend of mine) and is an Edelbrock Performer 1407. I suppose a little dirt in the carb might cause this symptom, but I would think it would do it all the time and not get progressively worse as the engine gets warmer. To keep you all well informed, when I relocated the fuel filter from in front of the carb (on the hot intake manifold) to just off the pump, I noticed a rather significant amount of black 'stuff' I got from the filter (which I immediately replaced). I suppose some of this could have made its way into the carb.
USE A VACUUM GUAGE WHEN SETTING UP CARB.SHOULD GET 18-22 INCHES OF VACUUM.
IN GEAR AT IDLE SHE CAN STALL AT 15 INCHES.
That leads to my next possibility; could it be transmission-related?
NOPE!
 could something internal be sticking? That may sound like a rookie question, but I'm kind of basing this on the fact that the trans fluid level has to be checked with the trans in neutral and, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is because of the fluid-relationship between the trans and the torque converter.
Hope this wasn't a crazy question and I look forward to reading your wisdom.
[/QUOTE]
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 10:25:06 PM »

Idle speed with an auto trans in neutral should be anywhere from 650-900 RPM depending on the year and motor of your car.  I will see the previous posts and see if you give that info. 

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 10:28:04 PM »

Your original post said you are talking about your Sport Fury.  Using your signature of a '68 440 HP, your idle speed should be 650 RPM.  (1975 Chilton's Tune-Up Guide refrencing a '68 440 HP.)

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 03:15:11 AM »

I didn't explain 'stalling' properly. It doesn't just stall; it stumbles severely (rpm fluctuations) and then stalls. Putting it in neutral smooths the engine without really raising the rpm's that much.

Hi CBARGE! -
1) I will check the curb idle at operating temp.
2) I started the timing @ 5 BTDC and would advance until ping under acceleration and back off a bit. I'll check and see where I am.
3) I went through the carb set-up w/vacuum gage and if I remember correctly, was getting vac @ high teens/low 20's BUT that might've been with a DIFFERENT CARB (could this be the 'a-ha' moment?)!

Hi Snotty! - Thanks for your data. Will confirm it's adjusted to factory specs.

Thank guys so much. I will do what I can and report back as always!!!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 01:11:49 PM »

Quote from: Uncle Hulka
I didn't explain 'stalling' properly. It doesn't just stall; it stumbles severely (rpm fluctuations) and then stalls. Putting it in neutral smooths the engine without really raising the rpm's that much.
Sounds like a carb issue or vacuum leak.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC