MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS Pump belt. Catch 22?  (Read 1148 times)

Rich

• View Profile
PS Pump belt. Catch 22?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »

Yes, you must be able to grab the belt and rotate it 90 degrees (1/4 turn), otherwise it is too tight.  Ensure the belts are the right size--too thin and they will be sunk way down in the pulley, too thick and they will stick up too high. Either way, they will wear very quickly.

Another old timey trick to clean up your pulleys is to put a good dab of toothpaste on the inner side of your belts (about a 2" bead) and run them for a few minutes, then hose them off well. It is a bit messy, but it does work, and will keep a squeeling belt quiet  for awhile.

Matt Aker

• View Profile
PS Pump belt. Catch 22?
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »

That makes sense if you use a harsher tooth paste like Crest original.  It''s got a grit in it that will help clean pulley grooves and give the belt a tighter grip.  Werks well on plastic lenses too...

When will LAVA make a tooth paste?
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

AJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
PS Pump belt. Catch 22?
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 11:32:42 AM »

Quote from: Junk
If you can turn the belt a 1/4 turn as if you are twisting it, you know it is tight enough.  If you can't turn it 1/4 turn, then it is too tight.  If you can get more than 1/4 turn, then it is too loose.  This is an old timers trick to belt tightness.  The new belts that are sold today, are not "wrapped" all around, and they are machine cut.  These belts will glaze over faster, and squeal.  I try to find the older type of cloth wrapped belts, and if you take proper care of them, they will outlast any modern day cut belt.   Most times that belts are out of alignment, it is a result of something being loose on the bracket hold down system.  I have rarely seen brackets that have been bent from a belt being too tight.  I have seen brackets that have been bent, because they were tensioned improperly using the wrong tool.  Also look for accident damage that has never been corrected. 

Never had a squealing belt - this is the method I have always used for tightening my belts up.

Have also used the Gatorbacks - they do seem to work better - ie grip more.
1982 Jeep CJ7 :: AMC360 Edelbrock 4bbl :: TF999 Built :: Dana300 Twin Stick :: D30 \\ AMC20 :: 7" Lift :: 35" Xterrains on ARE 15x10s :: Plenty of Fab Work.  And stiil a DAMNED KID!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
PS Pump belt. Catch 22?
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC