MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Sway Bar  (Read 735 times)

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Rear Sway Bar
« on: July 23, 2008, 06:14:20 AM »

Is there a good source you guys know of for a rear sway bar.. Mine never came with one but I would love to take some of the "lean" out of "Eileen"...

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Snotty

• View Profile
Rear Sway Bar
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:53:20 AM »

I bought a new one from PST for my '70.  It's a nice bar with good mounting brackets and parts.  Although I would mount on my car, it would not clear the over-load shocks and the non-stock exhaust on my car.

So, since his '70 Hurst is stock, I sold it to Fogel.  No dice!  It would not clear his stock exhaust or standard shocks either.

I do beleive it will fit a C Body, but not a '70.  The exhaust issue can be dealt with, but the shock angle won't change.

If your shocks are mounted differently than those on a  '70 you are welcome to this bar.  It's $90.00 plus shipping if you're interested.

Snotty
It's green here in Chico!!

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Rear Sway Bar
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 04:21:42 PM »

I'll climb under and take a pic of what my springs and shocks looks like... and you can tell me if you think it would work...

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Snotty

• View Profile
Rear Sway Bar
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 05:57:45 PM »

[/QUOTE]

That can work!  If I could get my pictures to load I'd send you a shot of my axle.

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Rear Sway Bar
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 06:06:28 AM »

Jason's Windsor would look like my '66 NYer up under thar.  Between the front of the tank and the differential you can barely access the top shock bolts.  It's mighty tight!
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Snotty

• View Profile
Rear Sway Bar
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 08:17:12 AM »

Quote from: MoparMatt
Jason's Windsor would look like my '66 NYer up under thar.  Between the front of the tank and the differential you can barely access the top shock bolts.  It's mighty tight!

The problem wasn't space, it was the location of the shocks on the axle itself.  On the '70s I tried to install this bar, the shocks angled towards the outside of the axle, blocking the bar from being mounted.  They were simply "in the way."

So, if the shocks on the '66 are mounted vertically towards the axle instead of angling outward towards the brake plates, this bar should work.

The size of the bar was perfect.

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Rear Sway Bar
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:21:57 PM »

The rear shocks on earlier C's (65' thru 68' at least) mount in the same fashion, towards the spring perches at the bottom.  I don't see the need for an anti-sway bar with leaf springs anyway.  If it were a GM with rear trailing arms maybe, but not in a C-body Chrysler.  Perhaps his torsion bars need a little tweaking...  to balance the ride handleing.
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rear Sway Bar
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 07:26:34 AM »

The one from PST you will be very unhappy with.  I used it in Polaraco and yanked it.  Noisey bushings, poor fit, lousey mounting system.  It looks like a front bar with a bow in it to fit over the rear.  It's is backwards from how it is supposed to be.

Best option is to get a sey of Alcan Springs, with a 6 leaf vs. a 5 leaf and a set of real good shocks.  Polaraco corners on rails now.

A 1" front is available from justsuspension.com for $100 US.  I had to slightly modify that too, but that was minor.  If you want to put in a 1" front, it's worth the money.  If you order one, measure the diameter of your strut rod.  The kit comes with 3/4 strut rod bushings, but my strut rods were 11/16.  You need to tell them that.  Otherwise the sway bar will wander all over the place under there.

POLARACO2008-07-26 12:28:16
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC