MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1963 New Yorker Master Cylinder ?  (Read 879 times)

Paul

• View Profile
1963 New Yorker Master Cylinder ?
« on: August 01, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »

I need to get a master cylinder sleeved, and I have access to two different cylinders.  I have been told by friends that either one is correct for original equipment on the 1963.  I would like to have a definitive answer on which one is the actual design that was original equipment from the factory.  They both look the same on the  top side, but on the bottom, one has a nub that isn't drilled.  On the other, there is no nub at all.  There are part numbers cast into the bottom of both, but I have  yet to be able to learn anything from these numbers, when I search old parts books.  The one that is correct, I am going to have re sleeved with brass by Sierra Specialty Automotive.  They came highly recommended by another hobbiest and restorer and the people that are doing my brake booster repair.  Thanks for the help... Junk....

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:40:24 PM »

The 2781821 is for 65-66 car.Looks to have been re-man once before.
The other number does not jive in my data base.It is possible to be correct for your car.
Now is a good time to go with a dual reservoir master cylinder
 if you plan on driving the car.
If your goal is to keep everything "correct" stick with the single pot,plan your stops,and keep a wheel chock within arms reach!! LOL!!.
CBarge2008-08-01 23:41:52
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:32:06 PM »

Those MCs are still available new.

There's nothing wrong with them when they work right.
It's green here in Chico!!

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:09:17 PM »

Almost 20 years ago, I rebuilt all the wheel cylinders, and the single master cylinder in a 1964 car.  I also installed new hoses, and checked all the brake lines for possible defects and installed DOT5 silicone brake fluid.  I have been driving that car ever since without any problems.  This past spring, I pulled each wheel, and checked each of the wheel cylinders.  They showed no sign of leakage.  I also checked the master cylinder for internal leakage, and there was none.   If you do the work correctly the first time, you will not have any problem.  Dual master cylinders are good for only one reason.  Most people never think of servicing the braking system, until they have to.  How many people change the brake fluid in their vehicles every 2 years?  Very few I suspect, since the average person has a out of sight, out of mind mentality when it comes to automobile maintenance.  Silicone brake fluid is not recommended for use in disk brakes. 

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:23:46 AM »

As has been said that's the same casting up through 1966.  The only difference being the location of the outlet on some.  If the bore size is the same as your '63 it should work fine and look correct.
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »

Quote from: MoparMatt
As has been said that's the same casting up through 1966.  The only difference being the location of the outlet on some.  If the bore size is the same as your '63 it should work fine and look correct.

Which casting number are you refering to, or are both correct?  I only want to do cylinder sleeving once on the correct core.  thanks Junk...

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 09:08:49 AM »

I wish I still had access to my parts books   That MC casting was used on almost all Mopar model lines at that time.  The differing casting numbers would probably indicate different bore sizes and where the outlet was located.  I helped Jr. put a new MC on a '63 Dart and it was the same as what was on my '66 NYer on the outside.

CBargey has the books, can you tell us what the ID is on the original MC from your car?  From there it should be easy to match.

What's funny is I bought a Series II Land Rover once and the previous owner had used a Chrysler MC on it, the same one as my NYer
Matt

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 01:05:11 PM »

The second MC pic is for 65 66.
I have no record of the gumbers on the first MC pic.
Sorry.
Matt is right,Ma used the same MC on A/B/and C cars during that time.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 01:51:06 PM »

Check the bore diameter of the original and let us know, Paul.
Matt

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 10:53:09 AM »

If you are looking for one to rebuild, I have one or two from a  '62 you could have.   Pay for the shipping and their your's.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »

Quote from: Snotty
If you are looking for one to rebuild, I have one or two from a  '62 you could have.   Pay for the shipping and their your's.

Hey!  When I bought that car, I thought I got everything!
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 06:38:52 PM »

You did, everything that was on it!  I have a number of stuff I'd replaced over those 8 years. 

Why I keep some of this crap - like ond drums and backing plates - I'll never know! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC