MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 15 MPG!  (Read 1065 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« on: July 08, 2008, 12:09:42 PM »

Hey all, a week ago Jerry and I swapped the 3.23 gears for the original 2.76 third member I swapped two years ago.  (For those of you worried about my surgery, Jerry did all the lifting.)  We drove to Redwood Christian Park last Sunday fro Family Camp.  I took the Newport because it's the only car I have that has a large enough trunk!

Anyway, I got 15 MPG!  Yes, I was happy!

So, swapping the original intake and carb for the Performer and 750cfm Edelbrock setup was the way for me to gain the mileage I so desired.

And, my car ran much cooler than before as well.

It was fully loaded and we had four adults in it.  I think I might get a little better with an empty car.

Whoo-Hoo!

It's green here in Chico!!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:12:23 PM »

Was that mileage reading taken before or after the buffet?
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:51:22 PM »

Very Good Scott

Since Mobby is looking for a formula for his chrysler, maybe that is what he needs to do.

I've heard this before
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jimmy

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »

Is the intake the standard performer or the performer RPM?
66'300 vert ~ 68'VIP fastop          

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:10:33 PM »

Good for you Snottster!!!!!!
Have fun at camp brother!!!

Johnny D.

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 06:31:38 PM »

i already have a 750 carb, and the 2.76 rear... stock intake manifold and gotta do the timing set, get the engine mounted in again... probably should get that dual exhaust done too...

the way i am now... 8mpg seems to be the magic number.

"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died."- John Milner

Matt Aker

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:15:23 AM »

The worst of my C's was my Polara, I was lucky to see 15 mpg.  However I must admit that I drove that car in a fashion that would make Mobby proud.

I put over 60k on my '66 NYer and never got bad mileage from it.  Even around town it would average 14-16 mpg NO bull sheist!  It's highway average was 18-20!  I kept the car in good tune and ran Sunoco 94 (around a buck-40 then... )  I remember this very well because the car's fuel guage didn't werk for the first five years I owned it.  Fill-ups were based on distance travelled.  Someone on the old board argued this point with me saying it wasn't possible, I wish I still had the gas slips to prove it.

When it came to poor fuel economy, my '64 Land Rover was second only to the space shuttle on lift off!  At least it was capable of climbing a tree, whereas NASA's stable only contains vehicles that can go into orbit, land like an airplane, and sometimes mysteriously explode.

Anyhoo...  Great work Snotts!  I wish you a speedy recovery so your son doesn't have to do all of yer heavy work!
Matt

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 06:11:05 AM »

Hey Matt,thats what kids (sons) are for the heavy lifting!!!!
"I don't get physical,I get upset,when I get upset,he gets physical." Rodney Dangerfield,in "Back to School."

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 07:44:35 AM »

My new Yorker averages 16.28 MPG on the highway,12 city.
Ross' Monaco fairs well,too.
During our road trip to National Moparts last week,we thought Moparmatt was in front of us with his Cadoo-ack which appeared to be gettting excellent gas mileage!!

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 07:54:06 AM »

As you would say Lea, "spare pawts" on the hoof too!
Matt

Bill

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »

Quote from: CBarge
My new Yorker averages 16.28 MPG on the highway,12 city.
Ross' Monaco fairs well,too.
During our road trip to National Moparts last week,we thought Moparmatt was in front of us with his Cadoo-ack which appeared to be gettting excellent gas mileage!!

BUWHAHAHAHA!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 01:32:45 PM »

Quote from: MoparMatt
The worst of my C's was my Polara, I was lucky to see 15 mpg.  However I must admit that I drove that car in a fashion that would make Mobby proud.

I put over 60k on my '66 NYer and never got bad mileage from it.  Even around town it would average 14-16 mpg NO bull sheist!  It's highway average was 18-20!  I kept the car in good tune and ran Sunoco 94 (around a buck-40 then... )  I remember this very well because the car's fuel guage didn't werk for the first five years I owned it.  Fill-ups were based on distance travelled.  Someone on the old board argued this point with me saying it wasn't possible, I wish I still had the gas slips to prove it.

When it came to poor fuel economy, my '64 Land Rover was second only to the space shuttle on lift off!  At least it was capable of climbing a tree, whereas NASA's stable only contains vehicles that can go into orbit, land like an airplane, and sometimes mysteriously explode.

Gee To Bad Matt
I get 25 on Polaraco

POLARACO2008-07-09 18:33:12
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Matt Aker

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »

Hence the reason I've been thinking about a TBI 350 transplant in the Coupe DeOldsmillac.  It averages 14 mpg with the original 3.91 diesel 10-bolt axle.  Engine and ecu donors are plentiful!  The car runs just fine as it sits, but feeding it is another issue.

It'll never achieve Polaraco's status but it'll be a freak no matter what I do with it.  Currently, I'm striving for the it-still-runs, no-original-paint and all-surface-rust look
Matt

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 02:21:04 PM »

heck i get almost 20 on average with Susan (when she runs) but with no gas guage or odometer(damn speedo cable), i don't drive too far. but she's got that tiny 318 and that crappy carb and  2.76?(i might be wrong). heck that V6 pontiac gets only 10 or less
176K miles 10/22

Matt Aker

• View Profile
15 MPG!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 02:51:56 PM »

Dare I ask what you're using for your wedding car?  My '66 NYer served in two wedding processions, my phat sister's FIRST wedding and my first      then Siss came along...  the rest is history!
Matt

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC