MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Torqueflite Issues/Problems  (Read 650 times)

Steve

• View Profile
Torqueflite Issues/Problems
« on: July 10, 2008, 02:50:23 PM »

I took my '68 Sport Fury for a drive for the first time and the transmission acts funny. Details:

1-2 shift is 'slushy' at moderated load. At full throttle it's better. If I manually hold it in 1st under acceleration, I noticed it starts to feel slushy and then a good, firm shift.

The 2-3 doesn't seem to happen until 50+MPH! Under normal cruising (40MPH avg) it never shifts into 3rd.

The fluid is the correct color and has no 'burned' smell. It is also at the proper level (checked with the engine warm and the selector in 'N' per the service manual).

Don't know if this is any help, but the selector lever feels loose and a little sloppy. I have tried manually holding the lever in the proper position (detent) to see if that might help (linkage out of adjustment?) but no change.

The car is an L-code 440HP. It also has been sitting (inside) for a few years.

Any help is appreciated.

And for the record, these are REALLY neat cars! My first and I'm so hooked!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:07:45 PM »

My 69 Roadrunner had a split selector lever that needed to be replaced. I was a teenager and had a local welder (bucketloaders, etc) fix it for me, but it wouldn't tighten down and spun on the shaft ever so slightly. It could be that, and I would do a service on the trans with pressure adjustments also. Then you know if anything else shows up it will need deeper study.

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 04:51:27 PM »

Could a dirty filter do that?

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:42:38 PM »

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Turns out one of the linkage springs was installed improperly. She shifts in the appropriate ranges, but they do seem a bit on the squishy side. Not firm like I was expecting.

Thanks for the help, but a new issue has come up that may be related to the electronic ignition conversion I did. I'll post this problem in that thread. Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.moparfins.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1343&PID=18464#18464

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC