MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP!!! Problem after Ignition Conversion!  (Read 2220 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
HELP!!! Problem after Ignition Conversion!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 05:41:43 PM »

You need to check the input voltage and the output voltage.  The resistor lowers the voltage to 9 V.  So the input should read 12V or better, and the output should read 9V or something  close to that.  If it's lower on the output side, try another resistor.  If you go into one fo the chain parts stores and the piply faced kid asks you what kind of car, Tell him a 73 Plymouth Fury.  Oh 360 Engine.  Make the rest up.

The harder you load the engine, the more current they draw.  That's why it's a good idea to check it with the ignition installed.  BTW, Ballast Resistors are very common to go bad.  Suggest a spare anyway
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Problem solved!!!!!!! The culprit was (drum roll)..........................................

A Bad ECU BOX!!! Bad right out of the box brand new with the conversion kit!! A trip up to NAPA got me the ECHLIN replacement. This is their top of the line unit, but I don't think it has the higher RPM range of the orange box. Right now I don't care, 'cause it's working just fine :-)

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and guidance, guys!!! It is really appreciated!!!

Now I have to put an air conditioner in the bedroom window to cope with the 95 degree heat we are enduring. I would rather take the SF for a cruise! Oh well, another day.

Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »

I love it when a plan comes together.

Yeah. . .The Northeast got hit with the heat didn't it.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 01:37:30 PM »

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 08:14:58 AM »

Final Update!

Thought the group should hear the epilogue to this saga.

I contacted Summit Racing to let them know that I had received a defective part in my kit and I wanted to exchange it for another ECU. I told the customer service rep that was handling my issue that I just wanted to exchange my bad box for a (hopefully) good one. He told me that they couldn't do that because it was part of a kit and that I would have to return my entire kit for a replacement kit. I told that I had just gotten everything set up and that I didn't want to be out of commission for 2 weeks waiting for them to receive my return kit, check it to make sure everything is there and then for them to send me a replacement kit. This gentleman chuckled told me they would be sending me a replacement kit immediately and to just return the defective kit after it has been installed and was working properly.

Talk about great customer service! I wasn't on the phone with him for more than 5 minutes! He was pleasant, professional, knowledgeable, polite and extremely helpful. This may have only been my 3rd order with Summit, but it sure as hell wouldn't be my last. Great to see a company that really understands the value of a satisfied customer. PLUS this man (and I'm really sorry I didn't get his name) was an American.......and was talking to me from within the United States. Great to know that some companies haven't outsourced their customer service positions to another country.

Good for you, Summit. Good for you!!!!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 04:48:43 PM »

I'm glad to see it work... They had the same issue when my step father first had this car of mine and went back to points to fix the problem.. I don't know if he changed the ECU.. I think he just gave up..

So not to temp fate I used the points dizzy in mine and hooked it to a Mallory Hyfire II ignition box.. and I haven't had any points wear since ( next to no voltage across the points now).. and my mileage went up..

Did you find any increase in mileage?..

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 02:08:29 PM »

Can't provide mileage info since I haven't registered it yet. Will report back with info as gathered!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC