MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Auto" windows  (Read 1220 times)

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
"Auto" windows
« on: June 26, 2008, 04:58:52 PM »

Hey guys can any of yous tell me, I want an "auto" power window on my truck like my wife's Sebring has,you know how the new cars the power window goes down by itself if you push the switch all the way over or you can put it down say halfway if you don't push the switch as far.

So my question is can I go to the junkyard and get a window switch that says "auto" on it and my window will work like that or is there more electronics to it that I'm not figuring on.

I'm guessing that there is more to it because everybody would probably be switching out their switches!!!

Anybody know???

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 05:31:48 PM »

Nope

They're done through the body computer.  If you don't have the feature now, you can't have them
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

David McDonnell

• View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »

UMMM...auto stop windows........this be priority in '08 I guess.
My old generation had SWIFTER options to choose from. Sure, PW were great and std. on my old cars. But we took it a step further I believe. We bought options like: auto. radio seek switch on floor...(one arm around gf?)...underdash record players...(save nickels being swallowed in jukeboxes).......power swivel seats for E A S Y entry and exit
made girls dresses stay below knees...(little hanky-panky)
Convertible tops that closed and LOCKED w/auto. elec. motor screws..(no manual over/under latches)....Automatic greasing of 50+ chassis and steering fittings at the press of a button on the dash..(red light went out when completed) 
oh yea, more........Double Eagle Good Year tires w/inner tire
and a blue dot on sidewall??..(impossible to have a flat!)...
Automatic head light dimmer eye...auto. rearview mirror mode to eliminate glare.... (from rude, too close, following cars)...hidden gas cap fillers, lots of ash trays...(many with little white lites above).....boots for convertibles that fit tight and FLUSH w/ no raised humps ~..~..~ (and starting in 1958 covered colored metal boots that did all the manual work with only (7) little extra motors) and hey, how about those wonderful electric radio antennaes that went silently up and down w/ only 2 drops of WD-40 every Saturday nite
yea....push-button trans. controls; custom floor  mats w/ car manufacturer name or logo, DEEP pile carpeting, and chrome window vents (powered).....and nice slim chrome lids over windows to keep light rain out.
Back inside: lighted vanity mirrors mtd. on back side of practical sun visors that turned to the side windows.
I am sure I have missed some other NICE features we do not find on luxury? cars today......but many old ones were for safety,comfort and convenience.........twas just a shame we had to pay almost $6,000 for one!  BUT: NOCHGFORFINS
LOL

P.S. Not allowed to post pics here....yet!..it says, sorry -
use hyperlinks to see my 2 -1957 cars with above features!

Click here: http://www.adspast.com/store/skin1/images/pics5/linc57premconvred.jpg

Click here: 1957 DeSoto "Adventurer" Convertible

SURPRISED?

Dave

Previously Owned:
'57 DeSoto Adventurer Conv.
'61 Chrysler 300G w/AutoPilot!
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak
Dave 870-248-0033 anytime

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:12:48 PM »

Ardog....lookit this:
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/expresswindow.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-window3.htm

and now if you can get Bill or Steve to build these ideas...you're in the money!

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5857061.html

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5857061/description.html

and you thought it was going to be simple!

stitcherbob2008-06-27 02:17:59
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 07:28:20 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Nope

Yeah I kinda thought so......nothings easy anymore.
Thanks Steve and Bob.

Yes Dave, I have heard of the options of which you speak I'm not so young that I haven't heard of such things as under dash record players and headlight sentinals. My friends Grandfather had a Linclon with Hydraulic windows!!!!!! They were real "rock crushers."
ardog2008-06-27 12:41:15

Snotty

• View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 08:30:34 PM »

Now Arlen, is your finger that weak????  I have to hand roll the windows in my truck.

Sheesh!

It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 04:18:37 AM »

Wha  Wha

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:45:37 AM »

Hmmm - that $24 GM gizmo looks interesting.  My first thought is how the gizmo detects full open or fully closed, probably using current draw. As long as the Mopar motors have the same current draw as GM motors it should be an easy install. I'd like to figure out a way to have a single switch that would raise or lower all the windows at the same time for when I lower or raise the top. The ultimate would be a switch that would raise the top and all the windows. With such a switch it would be easy to add a rain sensor that would automatically button everything up - provided the top well cover is left off.  Electric roof latches would be icing on the cake, then I could raise or lower everything with a remote key fob. So many ideas and not enough time!  

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 01:30:50 PM »

Quote from: Fury440
Hmmm - that $24 GM gizmo looks interesting.  My first thought is how the gizmo detects full open or fully closed, probably using current draw. As long as the Mopar motors have the same current draw as GM motors it should be an easy install. I'd like to figure out a way to have a single switch that would raise or lower all the windows at the same time for when I lower or raise the top. The ultimate would be a switch that would raise the top and all the windows. With such a switch it would be easy to add a rain sensor that would automatically button everything up - provided the top well cover is left off.  Electric roof latches would be icing on the cake, then I could raise or lower everything with a remote key fob. So many ideas and not enough time!  

Talking about LAZY

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »

Just you wait until I get the car back on the road and turn my attention to 'neat' upgrades!

One I saw this week when I took the rental back to Hertz, I'm at the counter and the nice lady asked how many km I'd driven, to which I said 'No idea'. She types into her computer and the car responds with a whole page of stats, km driven, fuel used, current fuel level and a bunch of gps stats.  A little scary when you think about it, but at least it didn't rat on me because I smoked like crazy in their smoke free car.    Not only didn't it have ash trays, they even removed the lighters!

All kidding aside, I'm a gadget freak and my Fury will be my test bed for lots of neat things.  My son-in-law is an Electronic Engineer who's specialty is designing micro-computer control systems, between the two of us we will have lots of fun with car automation.

He already wants to add a bunch of stuff to my Jeep, but I'm holding him back until the warranty expires.

Matt Aker

• View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 02:48:42 PM »

I hope your Jeep has ashtrays Bill.  Mine does but it's blocked by the gear shift lever whilst sitting in the driver's seat

You should *COUGH-COUGH* quit smoking anyway *COUGH-COUGH*...  thankfully my Oldsmillac has a large and easy-to-reach receptical *COUGH-GACK-COUGH* 
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

David McDonnell

• View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 03:48:01 PM »

RIGHT ON MATT..........another FREEDOM they want us to give up.....ashtrays and lighters were once STD. EQ.....
now is a dealer add.......guess we'll lose that option next.
Reminds me......'65 Ford LTD .....was riding in (ONLY).....had a self-cleaning ashtray.......turn AC on and presto......ashes all gone......if you don't count the carpet or front seat!
......but as I recall.....they were worried about a Pinto gas tank at that time!!......Jus' some of Ford's midnight engineers.......working overtime, huh?

Dave
Previously Owned:
'57 DeSoto Adventurer Conv.
'61 Chrysler 300G w/AutoPilot!
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak
Dave 870-248-0033 anytime

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 05:25:30 PM »

Quote from: MoparMatt
I hope your Jeep has ashtrays Bill.  Mine does but it's blocked by the gear shift lever whilst sitting in the driver's seat

Yes and no, Jeep has an optional one that fits in one of the cup holders but it's a piece of crap that gets the ashes ll over the console. I found one at crappy tire that works well, it fits in the cup holder (wife's side) The top is shaped like a funnel so that everything falls through the hole and can't blow around. Mostly I just flick the ashes on the floor, keeps moths out of the rugs.   Butts do go in the ash tray.

The rental was a problem, a lot ended up going out the sun roof.

Yes I should quit, but after 50 years I don't suppose it will stunt my growth.  It is starting to get expensive, at $90 a carton my wife and I are shelling out $700 a month. Pretty soon we may have to switch to pot!

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 12:53:01 PM »

Quote from: Snotty
Now Arlen, is your finger that weak????  I have to hand roll the windows in my truck.

Sheesh!

No Snotts my fingers  are fine, I just like toys and gadgets!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
"Auto" windows
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 10:26:14 AM »

Quote from: ardog
No Snotts my fingers  are fine, I just like toys and gadgets!!!

The only difference bewteen men and boys....

It's green here in Chico!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC