MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard Start  (Read 834 times)

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
Hard Start
« on: May 15, 2008, 06:02:17 PM »

Ok...so i installed a Mopar Electronic Ignition Distributor in the 62 Newport and now I have some hard starting issues. I have to crank for a few minutes, and then it only starts when the motor is still spinning but the starter has been let off. This only happens when the motor is cold or when the motor is warm and I turn it off for more than a few minutes. I followed the instructions for the electronic ignition and spliced the power wire for the regulator into the power supply side of the ballast resistor. It almost seems as if the distributor isn't getting power while cranking the starter. But it fires right up when warm if I turn it off and then start it right back up. Any ideas?
"faster and faster until the fear of death is overcome by the thrill of speed"

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hard Start
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 06:25:39 PM »

They've been known to have bad boxes out of the box.

If it's wired right, it should start. 

You sure you have the timing right?  I can't hear it so I can't say yet.

Check your ground on the box.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
Hard Start
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 03:46:18 AM »

Your not 180 degrees off on timing are you?

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
Hard Start
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 06:21:51 AM »

Negative on the 180 off...not my first engine, just my first mopar one with points stock. Further, it does run just fine when it starts. As for the exact timing, I haven't had time to throw the timing light on yet, but it runs perfect with no knock once started.

Snotty

• View Profile
Hard Start
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:43:45 AM »

The MP instructions leave of one step.  There is a wire that needs t remain in place that the instructions say to take off.  I had the same problem with my 440; took it to "The Doctor" and the problem was solved.

I am sorry that I cannot be specific, but on the ballast resistor there needs to be two wires on each side.  The instructions say to install only three - one on one side and two on the other.  To do so bypasses a "hot lead" or something.

I'll send this post on to Chris "The Doctor" Ferdricksen to get the correct description.
It's green here in Chico!!

Herman

• View Profile
Hard Start
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:49:13 AM »

Turn the ignition key "ON" and measure the voltage between the "+" of the coil and Ground.
Should be around 9 volts.
Have someone try to start the engine and measure again while still cranking. Now it should be around 12 volts.
If not, something's wrong.

But, more likely, it's those damn orange ECU's.
Try to find another one in any color but orange, and see how that one works.

BigBlockMopar2008-05-19 16:49:48

Snotty

• View Profile
Hard Start
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 08:29:56 PM »

Here is The Doctor's reply:

Hey Scott, Just read the thread and boy are you taxing my old brain. If memory serves right you (meaning me, when I installed mine following the instructoons) cut out the ballast resistor bypass that was part of the factory wiring harness. He needs to go back into his factory wiring harness and find the wire going to the posiitive side of the coil that is hot while cranking and hook it back up. I cannot recall the color of the wire for sure but I think it is blue or brown.

If you did cut this wire you will have the hard starts.  Good luck! 

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
Hard Start
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 12:20:23 PM »

Sorry it took so long to update...the Army is a busy place and I just figured out what is up. It turns out that I did hook up the igniton right, and no it wasn't an infamous orange box issue. Instead, it was a malfunctioning electric choke. When I switched out the ignition, it changed the voltage to the choke, and the choke blade is completely closed during startup. Once started, the choke works fine. All I have to do is give it enough throttle to to overide the choke, until it starts...at least until i figure out the voltage thing. By the way, anyone who doesn't have a mini starter should seriously think about getting one, it is well worth the money. That mini starter turns the motor so fast its unreal.

Snotty

• View Profile
Hard Start
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 09:08:49 AM »

Glad to hear you got it worked out Gear.

Yes, those minis do work great, but they will also burn out if cranked for too long to start the car.  Be careful. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC