MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What the Heck! POLARACO  (Read 2930 times)

firedome

• View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 09:59:25 AM »

Hey, you can always just stick a Cummins in there if you really want some torque...  Cummaraco!

Or is that Polaramins...

A higher lift, shorter duration cam does make sense, in theory. Theory
& practice dont't always agree, however; you might just have to try
& measure to find out for sure.

firedome2009-12-10 15:03:57
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »

Yeah

I'm doing the Molley rings to it, since I have to yank the Jugs anyway.  But I decided to use trimetal bearings as well.  That will reduce some friction.  That's a big enemy.

Chamfer the oil ports on the crank, will allow more oil and also reduce friction.  I am thinking of just polishing the ports and chanfering the edges on the intake and exhaust side of the heads to get better flow and reduce puddling in the chambers.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 12:31:34 PM »

Quote from: stitcherbob
I would focus on getting that fan system to run less.....or go with only one fan 

Bob, that's not the problem.  The fans don't run very much when the car is moving and they are set for 195 degrees. 

The problem is Mark tubed the tanks to capacity.  Except for the lip on the top and bottom, the core is as wide as the tanks.

I have a nasty trans cooler in there too.

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 06:29:47 AM »

Looks good blosman, as for more torque, not sure what to add, the more mods you do both HP and TQ will go up, but being the 5.9 has that nice long stroke, big low end grunt is already there, it is up to you not to move it too far out of the lower end of the RPM range.
Tom

They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 06:45:06 AM »

Yeah. . .  

I could never get the 5.2 to go over 3500.  Always ran out of room before I got any faster.  But with that rig, 3500 ia 110 MPH, so I didn't want to push it any more.  But I have since adjusted the trans pressure and kickdown.  Just haven't tried

Car has never scene 4K RPM.

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 09:20:26 AM »

You're making something very simple very complicated...
Here's the solution:
Put in a 2.73 rear.
Put in an OD tranny.
Put in an elect. OD bolt on unit.
You'll be cruising 65 at  850 RPM.

firedome

• View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 03:52:15 PM »

Stan's got a good point there... it's all about synergy. 
firedome2009-12-11 20:52:34
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

glen cyr

• View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »

The magnum heads are good stock,BUT,...they can be improved to be a real performer without sacrificing the low end grunt. You need to take a grinder to clean up and smooth the valve guide boss in the exhaust side bowls and ports as this will not affect the velocity in the intake side. The intake side ports and bowls do not have to be touched as they flow very well from the factory. One step up would be to blend in the intake valve boss a bit for a bit better mid range torque and hp. As you can see from this picture,this is a fully prepped bowl,but you can see where the guide boss is smoothened and you just know they will flow.

Another trick we used in the 340's because they had bad exhaust ports due to the "dog leg" in the port was to use a 1.5" rocker on the intake but a 1.6" rocker on the exhaust and you could do this on the 5.9 also with a 1.6" stock on the intake but a 1.7" on the exhaust. This will not make a difference down low,but will make a difference from mid-range and up! Do you have a windage tray? I believe the magnums already have lower tension  moly rings and tri-metal bearings. I don't know where Harold is now,but he was the brain at Ultradyne cams and if you told him your goal,man could he make you a custom grind that would rock and roll!. I think he might be at Comp cams now. 

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 05:04:46 PM »

Hey Glen

Yep Polishing the ports on the heads already.  Just waiting for a couple of carbide cutters.  Goint to Chanffer the oil ports on the crank too.  There is a few tricks I found out about for the inside of the chambers too.  http://allpar.com/gallery/v/personal/TWX/porting/?g2_page=1   Real good info.  Look what he does around the valves. 

I've been chatting with a guy on Allpar who seems to be really on top of this stuff.  He said everything you did, but he has a few more ideas.

I have a windage tray picked already for it.  Going with the Mopar Performance one.  I know that helps MPG and torque a bit.  It eliminates the splashing which slams into the rotating gear in the crankcase and believe it or not, robs power.

Moly and trimetal are not standard on the Magnum.  I already checked that out.  They just use the standard iron rings and Babbit for cost.  Although, this is a final production prototype engine.  I may be surprised.  Either way, I have to put rings in it

Tomorrow I am going to start on the jugs and honing the cylinders out.  I got the engine on the stand tonight and am draining all the oil I put into it while loosening the engine from a stuck state.  This is just to get the oxidation off the cylinder walls in 4 cylinders.  The rest are all untouched.

firedome

• View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 05:17:07 PM »

I'm very curious as to how much you can reduce drag/ftriction via a proper windage tray... whadda we talkin about in numbers?

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

glen cyr

• View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »

In most street engines in the 300-400 hp range,i hear in between 1-3% depending on your engine and a few other factors. So that would put it in between 3 and 12 hp for those engines. In a race engine,..especially a high rpm engine,i have heard of numbers of 40+ hp with special windage trays,crank scrapers,wide oilpans etc. You can also save hp by going to a reg. oil pump vs. H.V pump. I've used reg. oil pumps on some high rpm 340's and there's still plenty of pressure even at 6,000+ rpm. A HV pump adds 25% more drag. This was another free hp trick in stock eliminator.

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 03:58:38 PM »

Well Glen. . . 12 HP is 12 HP.  Now you can run the car a quart over without the drag of the extra oil

This is what I have.  Not much gringing can be done in here to improve the performance.  The Port polishing is definitely going to be a plus.  Those intakes are really rough.

I'm a bit concerned about these two cylinders.  I am using a 600 Grit hone, the metal is so hard, it just won't do any more.  They technically need a 10 over, but I decided to let them go.  I can feel it with my finger tip, but not with my nail.  Since it's only about 25% of the cylinder, I figure a guestimate of a 5 PSI drop for a while.  With the moly rings, it will take froever for those cylinders to rub clean.  It's no race car, so I am not going to worry about it.  It's just too bad it's at the top.

Any body know what these numbers mean?

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 01:44:01 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
The Port polishing is definitely going to be a plus.  Those intakes are really rough.
 [color=#ffff00 size=3]You're going to lose your low end grunt which will hurt performance and fuel economy.[/color]

They technically need a 10 over, but I decided to let them go.   
Commando12009-12-14 06:45:04

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 07:30:59 AM »

I agree Stan. . .But I can't do just three cylinders.  Pistons are expensive.  I have to do them all.

It's not going to smoke that bad. . . 

And I will loose the low end if I POLISH the ports.  Not rough them as he shows in his pictures.  You read that wrong

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 09:52:24 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
. .But I can't do just three cylinders. 
Sure you can...

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC