MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mold&mildew issues  (Read 826 times)

John B.

• View Profile
mold&mildew issues
« on: June 08, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »

Hi Guys; I'm wondering whats the best way to deal with mold &mildew in a car thats been stored in a Barn for years. Trying to save the interior, as its a 64 Imp Crown Coupe.
                                           thanks, John B.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
mold&mildew issues
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 01:40:12 PM »

Being an Imp,is the interior leather or cloth/vinyl??
Stitcherbob should chime in on this one..

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
mold&mildew issues
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 02:54:35 PM »

I sent a message to Bob
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

John B.

• View Profile
mold&mildew issues
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 03:44:59 PM »

The seats are leather, but there is mold on the door panels and headliner  as well!

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
mold&mildew issues
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 03:58:33 PM »

My daughter used to get mold in her convertible when she lived in Vancouver and her solution was soap and water with a bit of bleach added to the water to kill the mold. Not sure about the headliner, but a good wash shouldn't hurt the rest of it. Headliners are fairly fragile so you may have to replace it.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
mold&mildew issues
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 06:03:56 PM »

I am currently cleaning the mold out of my 1991 Ca-d-illac Eldorado from a bad cowl water leak that soaked the rear carpets. I removed the whole interior, wiped the leather and vinyl with Spray Nine, threw away the jute carpet padding, washed the floors and the  backside (molded black rubber) of the carpeting with Spray Nine (letting it stay wet for 5 minutes to disinfect), scrubbed the carpet pile with one of those new OXY type stain removers (I think it was Resolve) that mix hydrogen peroxide with detergent, and vacuumed the headliner. I have made copies of all the carpet padding from new jute, and am re-dyeing the carpets a little darker to cover the stains. I also had to vacuum the leather seats where there is perforated leather inserts.
This may not be enough. There is a product that you put on a hot plate to create a mist that permeates the whole car including all of the ductwork and the cloth that kills mold spores. I may have to do this next....
stitcherbob2008-06-08 23:06:10
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC