MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pondering Dual Resivoir Systems  (Read 569 times)

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
Pondering Dual Resivoir Systems
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:29:56 PM »

I believe this is how a master cylinder works, if not please correct me.

Pushing the brake pedal, pushes a “plunger” in each half of the MC which forces fluid to the wheels.

So, hypothetically speaking, if the front brakes were adjusted much tighter than the rears,  the front brakes would contact the drums first.  At which point the pedal would stop moving (without using much more force) without the rears ever being fully applied, right?

This brings me to the distribution block thing on the frame down below the MC.  On the dual reservoir cars this has input and output holes for the front and rear circuits, that are separated by a spring loaded divider in the middle.  If one side looses pressure the divider moves far enough to complete  a circuit and turn on the warning light.

My question is, does that divider move slightly under normal circumstances to allow the pressure/volume in the front and rear systems to equalize?

The reason I ask, is that when I converted from single to dual reservoir, I did not use the factory distribution block.  I used a plug to block off the rear hole in the original block, and then connected straight from the MC to the rear line.
I do have the proper dual res distribution block, and am wondering whether I might get better braking with it installed?

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
Pondering Dual Resivoir Systems
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 05:49:06 AM »

The way you did it is the way I was told to run the lines too Dan. On the single resivoir cars the block you speak of really doesn't do anything but turn on the light during loss of pressure.(I'm talking about the originial block on our cars) It doesn't do anything for putting the fluid to the brakes that are still functioning.

You could get an adjustible proportioning valve and plumb it into your system and try it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC