MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A-488 Torqueflite trans. question  (Read 2528 times)

David McDonnell

• View Profile
A-488 Torqueflite trans. question
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:12:03 AM »

Hi Fellas and ?....new here today!..looks like a fun site. One of the reasons I joined today was to try and get an answer to a question on my mind for almost 45 years. Patience??........(I waited 2 years for a 300-G back in early 60s!!!.) and that is part of the reason for my question. Everything I have researched tells me that my '57 Desoto Adventurer Convertible w/35,000 miles on it had the same torqueflite tranny as my buddie's '57 300-C w/ 30,000 miles on it. He beat the hell out of that "C" with no problem EVER!!...I babied my Adventurer and had 4 tranny's in it in less than 22 months. (all rebuilt??... by different shops)....can any MOPAR Garu here give me a clue?.......Cars were in Syracuse,NY at time....and my buddy even did this to his "C" one nite.....backed down out of a friends driveway onto city street going about 25 in rev......punched the DR.1 button and stompped the gas all-the-way down. Car did not move!! ...but clouds and clouds of smoke were coming in my passenger window!!........this continued for about 2 minutes and then we s t a r t e d to crawlllll..........3 blocks later was a stop sign and speedo was reading 135 MPH then.........tires still burning on one side!.......that "patch of rubber was measured the next day and 2 tracks were over 500 feet long and one went over 3 blocks!!..........the whole street lite up as houses were wondering what to hell was going on........we turned at stop light and cruised down to center of town and got out and walked to the drinking fountain on square. At that exact moment the chief of police came up to my buddy and said,"Every S.O.B. on Elm, Walnut, and Oak Streets is calling about a nut, out on their streets".....(it was about 12:30 A.M.)............we looked blankly at each other? ...while the chief continued,"There is only one car in this town that can do that poop.........and if I can catch you doing it again?".....
"There will be hell to pay!" hahaha...........2 years later HE was directing traffic when I let my Mother drive my "G" thru town ..and he hurridly waved her thru the intersection...she forgot herself and punched it....she waved to the chief as she left him 2 streaks of rubber 9 inches wide at his feet!!!.......what times we had with our "Banker Hotrods"......hell, I was a young farmer and my "C" buddy painted houses!!
Sure would like answer to the tranny ?.........My Dad was convinced that Desoto meant : Chrysler engine mounted to a plymouth transmission!!!
He was all smiles the day they delivered my 300-G!!!.....(Oh, I got a little less in trade for the Adventurer than Richard Carpenter got for his.....I got 800 bucks trade and was tickled then!)
Dave

Previously Owned:
'57 DeSoto Adventurer Conv.
'61 Chrysler 300G w/AutoPilot!
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak
Dave 870-248-0033 anytime

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:39:35 AM »

Heh  I own a 62 300H.  I can't wait to do that.

[color=#ffff00 size=7]WELCOME![/color]

Interesting why you had those old cast iron TF's dropping out like that.  I guess that's why I do my own.

I never heard of such a thing.  Specifically what was going bad on you in the trans?  Was the torque converter rebuilt?  Maybe you need a new flex plate?

Those PB Torqueflites had rear and front pumps.  I wonder if the rear pump was good or not.  I think we can give you some direction, But I need to get some more details as to what happened when it died.

Steve
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

David McDonnell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »

Hi Steverino.......Bad trannies on DeSoto were signaled by 10 MPH trip back to farm......usually from 25+ miles away. One time had more speed in reverse than ANY 1-2-DR button......did that when was only 2 miles from house. I paid $800.00 for that 57 adventurer, put only 8000 miles on it....(low-milage..........always in shop!) Best rides in the DeS were to Rochester, NY on the NY Thruway from Syr. to Rochester on Friday nites to go get Rochester Red Hots and get buddies back safely. (usually did that 65 mile 2-way trip, get the dogs, in 90 minutes).....did it once in 72 minutes!!! .....the guys timed me and helped me throw out the T-Way toll card....(had to pay 5 bucks for all T-way, but no speed checks!)..........(never used the record player...dealers had no records!..dah! always had lots water on gold carpet in the deep floor wells)......if hardtops leaked..imagine a ragtop connection?
So trannies on the "C" and the Adventurer were the same in 57 right?
Dave
Previously Owned:
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak

David McDonnell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:33:05 PM »

OH, Steve.......as to why I did not rebuild my own trannies....I had to keep a fleet of JD "G" tractors going in 7 counties and 3 of our dairy farms producing retail milk for my Mom to sell. Had very very little free time.and that was used trying to have fun w/ my cars...(had 53 and 57 Lincoln converts before Chryslers) Buick roadmaster hdtp, and olds 98 holiday hdtp.......Have owned 37 cars to date and that was count up to 6 years ago. Have owned 104 JD 2 cyl. tractors and restored 32 of them!
Interesting note....1947 JD "G" had 2 cylinders 413 Cu.In engine and 38 hp.........in garage at same time was a Chrysler w/ 413 Cu.In. and 375 HP..........FUNNY!!
Once saw a JD "G" in Auburn,NY in 70's w/ a special manifold and Carter AFB 4 Bbl. carb.....dyno'd at 80hp!..cubes need fuel & Air and breathing...huh?
Previously Owned:
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 01:35:10 PM »

Good stories Dave.
I think the transmissions were the same in those years.
I don't know why one would go bad and the other live on.
One thing I can think of is perhaps the engine and tranny alignment was a little 'off' in the Desoto, perhaps causing some internal damage over time.

David McDonnell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 01:43:52 PM »

Hey Steve.......I always believe God gets even.......Maybe my 57 DeS. Adv. came into Richard Carpenters hands....if so, he only broke even at $300,000.00 in 2005? if he replaced trannies in his every 4 months!
Hey, it sat too low in drivers seat too.
Previously Owned:
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 03:56:11 PM »

Yep!  The G and the Adventurer both had the old Cast Iron TQ.  But even what you are saying doesn't make sense!  That old Cast Trans was one tough trans!  More so than the aluminum replacement in 62.  Even thought they were identicle inside.

Do they tell you what failed on the trans when you take it in?  Or is it all different each time? 
Short jaunts shouldn't bother it.  As long as the fluid didn't leak out of the shift cable O-Ring.

Maybe you have a cooling issue?  What does the fluid look like when it dies?

I wish I had the time, I'd shoot down there and look at it.  You're only 2 hours away from me.

Might want to talk to "StitcherBob" about fixing that roof leak.  He restores Convertible tops and interiors.  Show Stuff.  He'lll be around late tonight.  He's working on

David McDonnell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 04:15:11 PM »

Kahoona.........apreciate the info........but in first post I explained this question was over 45 years old.
I solved it at the age of 18.......I traded the pretty old rare Adventure for the 300G and got-on-down-the-highway!
Was the MYSTERY of 4 different Chrysler dealers in upstae NY in 1960.
Thanks again.........
Previously Owned:
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 04:21:18 PM »

OK  You threw me a curve.  I missed that.

I had a Brand new '79 D150 which twice died in the dealer parking lot when leaving.  The trans would just quit.  After 7 transmissions in 50 miles, I was really torqued.  I suggested the flex plate be changed.  Problem was solved and went 130,000 miles before I sold it.

But it was an interesting exercise.   I like challenges like that.

Did I win something?  

David McDonnell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »

7 transmissions in 50 miles???..and u were torqued?...Ol' Walter P. did not have that patience!!
LOL
dave
Previously Owned:
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 03:04:40 AM »

I mis-read it too, so no fins at present??  And here I thought me
n' Steve had some company... this place is MoparFINS after all...been
lookin' forward to seein' pics of Adolph's '59 - did the in-surance
people cough up finally Steve??

For those of you wantin' a fin Mopar, better get it quick - those
things are going overseas in container loads in such volume that the
ports are backed up!! One young Aussie lady just waited over 2 months
while her Plymouth just sat at the port waiting for ship space... we
all can thank the next-to- worthless dollar for this turn of events...

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 05:21:42 AM »

That's good!  My 59 is going on the block very soon

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 05:46:00 AM »

Quote from: firedome
For those of you wantin' a fin Mopar, better get it quick -

Thanks for the tip, I just bought a '57 Plymouth for $1500 since nobody else did.
Maybe I should go the '57 Chrysler I know for sale aswell...

But yes, even I think it's somewhat 'sad' to see the US is been 'drained' from all it's vintage iron.
Three things contribute to this I think;
- Low value of the Dollar;
- High iron prices;
- US folks just not being able, or want to spend money/time on their car.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 06:03:05 AM »

I'll start selling long expansion bridges next.  Then we'll get some of the money back!!!

I have a Golden One on the west coast, and one named after a famous President on the east coast for sale.

Herman
My 59 Toga Sedan is going on the block soon.  I'm bringing it home Saturday and will take pictures.  Know anyone who wants a rust free Sedan?  All the body work has been done.  Needs a bunch of TLC.  I'll be putting tires on it soon.

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 06:27:52 AM »

Selling Fullsizers overhere can just be as difficult as in the US I think.
First, every "Mopar"-lover wants a d@mn Dodge Charger just because of the DukesofHazard-series, a small number of other folks, with some more taste,   go for most of the other Mopars of same vintage, and only a mere handful of morons will buy and drive these fullsize beasts... myself included...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC