MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Talking about Scams!  (Read 474 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Talking about Scams!
« on: June 02, 2008, 06:31:19 AM »

I ran over this through a Diesel Forum I belong too.  But this didn't happen at the diesel forum, it's a compeltely different forum.

It's 48 pages telling how someone ripped off people in a forum.  I think my point is. . . Before we buy something from a new member, let's check it out really well first.  There's alot of good points here

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244457
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Torsten Schneider

• View Profile
Talking about Scams!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 06:58:51 AM »

mercedes 
sportfury642008-06-02 12:05:50
Plymouth Sport Fury 64 426 Street Wedge
Plymouth RR 69 440 Six Pack

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Talking about Scams!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:29:36 AM »

As you remember. I learned my lesson last year.
The good news is that the USPS has prosecuted the $%#@head that scammed me because I persued it all the way to the top, crossing my t's and dotting my i's on the gazzillion forms.  He's in the FEDERAL  pen now (along with his scumbag brother) and the USPS said I'll be reimbursed because I used a Postal Money order.

That idiot.  If he hadn't insisted on a Postal MO, he would have gotton away with it...

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Talking about Scams!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:42:40 AM »

I don't know what happened to ya commando1 but from what you just posted sounds like a good idea to use postal money orders if yer the honest type.  I think I'll be using them.  Just may be the way to protect oneself.

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Talking about Scams!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:20:03 AM »

I think the term "Buyer Beware" should be engraved on every-one's keyboard, just to the right of the "Enter" key!

Anyone buying something expensive from anyone they don't know should really look into an escrow service, this link is to a typical one. The service does cost, but not as much as getting ripped off. Mind you, check these services out since I assume there are few that are probably  scammers themselves.

Personally, I take the approach that "most" people are honest and with few exceptions have been proven right.  However, when I buy something over the net, I generally treat it like a lottery ticket purchase, if I win, great, but if I lose, I reconcile it with "nothing ventured, nothing gained".

The idea of restricting the ability of new members to post items for sale is a good idea. An even better idea would be some sort of "good guy" vote from existing members. I am a big believer in word of mouth recommendations from people I've known for awhile. An indorsment from guys like Steve, StitcherBob, Butch, Leaburn, Matt, etc (you guys know who you are) would go a long way to eliminate the fear factor from buy/sell posts.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Talking about Scams!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:16:48 PM »

Quote from: Chrysler300
I don't know what happened to ya commando1 but..
Read all about it

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Talking about Scams!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:32:19 PM »

I have a real nice dual snorkel air cleaner from a '67 or '68 AC/BB C-body fer sale...

waiting for the punishment......... 
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Talking about Scams!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 05:34:57 PM »

Quote from: MoparMatt
I have a real nice dual snorkel air cleaner from a '67 or '68 AC/BB C-body fer sale...  
Hmmmmm.............

Snotty

• View Profile
Talking about Scams!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:26:57 AM »

I have one for a '71!!!

Even Postal Money Orders won't help if the seller says they didn't get your check.  Unless they differ from a bank order, I paid for a book with one and the seller said she never received it.  I sent a second but could not cancel the frist, nor could I find out if it had been cashed.  If I were to send a large amount, I would do so with postal confirmation.

Get a receipt that the seller received the payment.
It's green here in Chico!!

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Talking about Scams!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 10:35:23 AM »

I never use Postal Money Orders for that reason, I use PayPal with a credit card or a check.

If i send a check and it gets lost, I can simply cancel it and send another.

With Paypal purchases any losses are covered by the credit card loss limit of $50.

BTW in Canada all credit cards have a federally legislated $50 loss limit, but I'm not sure  that's the case in the US.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Talking about Scams!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 10:39:09 AM »

Quote from: Commando1
Hmmmmm.............

He's been shipping me that air cleaner for a year now. . . .   I forget.  How much did I pay you? $2200?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Talking about Scams!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 02:43:46 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Quote from: Commando1
Hmmmmm.............

I still haven't accrued enough interest for a new DTS Steve, so yer air cleaner is still in safe hands in my kitchen.  Siss only kicks it out of her way once or twice a day... 

Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC