MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New development  (Read 1263 times)

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
New development
« on: June 02, 2008, 05:12:24 AM »

The last few times I've run the engine a new issues has developed.  When I hit the gas pedal or advance the throttle lever to rev the engine she hesitates and almost stalls out.  It has back fired in the carb a couple of times too but not a lot.  Ideas.

Thanks

Herman

• View Profile
New development
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 05:23:20 AM »

Most likely, the acceleration pump is shot.
The backfiring is then a result of a too lean mixture, which happens when the acceleration pump doesn't deliver enough fuel, or no fuel at all.

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
New development
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:39:51 AM »

Thanks.  I just looked in the tech manual.  Am I corret in it appears I have to take the carb apart and put in a new plunger.  How difficult a job is this?  Will a thousand parts pop out and off taking off the top half to put this in?  Also is this a part one can pick up at the auto store and what will I need to tell them I need to get the right one.

I was hoping it would just be a screw needing adjusting.  Drats.
Chrysler3002008-06-02 10:41:31

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New development
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:34:22 AM »

You'll need a shrapnal shield for all the the stuff that will come flying out.   

Just kidding.  It's really quite simple.

Go here to identify your carb and Kit
http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Herman

• View Profile
New development
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:36:43 AM »

You can make sure it's the acc.pump by looking down into the carb (engine off!) and operate the throttle once or twice.
Normally you should see 2 squirts of gas enter the bores from the front of the carb.
The acc.pump is on the leftfront corner of the carb, and should be connected to the throttle-linkage.
It also has a lever with 3 holes in it, with a rod (usually) in the middle hole, running to the throttle linkage.

Replacing the acc.pump is not that difficult, just takes a bit of time.

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
New development
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 07:08:49 AM »

Thanks guys.   I'll peek down it tonight when I get home.

I looked at the web site and figure I should order the rebuild kit?   As for tags it has a shiny shiny silver one which I take will id it for sure.  I know it's an AFB from the tech manual and what someone said when they saw the pick I posted of it.

What I don't get is it did this in the past.  Then when I worked on it per directions here it was fine but now has gone back to this.  Oh well can't hurt to fix it up.  

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
New development
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 03:34:03 AM »

OK I go home run the engine till it's warm like the carb site says to do.  Turn it off and have the wife press down on the gas pedal real quick and nothing out of the two little holes in the front of the carb.  So I figure from what ya'll told me its the accelerator pump.
I took the number off the tag and it appears to read 8568.  It could even be 88568 as a number is just on the edge of where they start.  Looking on the web site linked I do not see this number.  Any suggestions or thoughts?  Also am I correct in the tag should id the carb?

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
New development
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 05:29:59 AM »

Well don't I fell sheepish.  Disregard the prior post.   After reading about Carter carbs on the net I ran home to reread the tag.  It's 3856s.   Found it on the other site.   I'll tell ya these newbies.

Herman

• View Profile
New development
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 05:59:33 AM »

I think just about all '60s 4bbl Carter carbs use the same acc.pump.
I might be wrong about this, but I've never seen any difference in them yet.

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
New development
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 06:35:14 AM »

It looks that way.   All the 383's with this have a part number 599.   I just wanted to make positive I didn't have something rare or diff.    You know like working on the house.  You always get the standard part to find out they did yours a "special" way.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New development
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 10:36:57 AM »

I would suggest you get the whole kit.  Just in case you tear a gasket.  It's a good idea to change the top gasket and the base plate anyway.  Needle and seat too.  That's all the easy stuff.

If you have access to some compressed air, you may want to flush out some of the chanbers with Berkible 2 + 2 Carb Cleaner (10 times better than Gumout) and some compressed air.  You want to make sure you get all the crap out of the bottom of the bowl too.  If no air, then get two cans of the 2 + 2.  It's in a Blue spray can.  GREAT SHTUFF!

Watch you don't loose site of where the parts go and there are little steel balls in there.

Change your fuel filter again. 

You'll do fine.

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
New development
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 01:38:35 PM »

I was thinking the whole kit was the way to go.  It looks intimidating but I think once I get started it should go fairly smooth. 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New development
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 02:10:51 PM »

Foamy said the same thing when he did his. . . .  But he's just a "Damned Kid"    

We got him fixed up

Matt Aker

• View Profile
New development
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 02:53:55 PM »

Quote from: Chrysler300
I was thinking the whole kit was the way to go.  It looks intimidating but I think once I get started it should go fairly smooth. 

Those carbs are a breeze to rebuild!  Even the float setting will be outlined in the kit's instructions.  If ya need, I found TWO AFB accelerator pump plungers/diaphrams in my stock of old partz here.  Lemme know if you need one, it's yer's for free!  I'll only charge ya for advice...  
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
New development
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 03:26:49 AM »

Thanks Matt.  I send you a PM on the plungers.   From what you guys are saying I'm going to order the kit and give this a whirl.  It can't hurt to clean it up some and add the new parts.  This should give me another 84,000 miles of worry free driving.
One I have this stuff in hand I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me on this.  Thanks for your help.

By the way what should one of those kits run roughly?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC