MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Give me your take on the last Imps.  (Read 1651 times)

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
Give me your take on the last Imps.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 02:22:59 AM »

Just my opinion, but I like them better with whitewalls.

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 04:05:56 AM »

I like 'em better with Goodyear Eagle Nascar tires on 'em...

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1981/Buddy/index.htm

stitcherbob2008-06-03 09:13:29
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 10:36:07 AM »

I love the '81-'83 Imps, and did from the first day I saw one.  An '81 FS Edition was just on ebay with the EFI still installed.  The car had a claimed 25,000 original miles.  I don't think the guy drove it enough to run into the inherent problems!

I thought they were sweet, and with only one option were certainly unique.  They were the first US car with an electronic dash and with EFI.  I've wanted one for years.

The '90s Imp wasn't bad as far as cars go.  They had the leg room missing from the New Yorkers of the day.  But once the LHS cars came out they looked DATED in a huge way!

I LOVED the last New Yorker also.  It's a shame Chrysler killed that name.  It was the longest running model name in US history up to that point.  Since there was no '83 Vette, that model can't claim that title.  The Mustang has a shot if it continues to be made...

[color=#0033ff size=6]...for another 20 years! [/color]    
It's green here in Chico!!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 03:39:40 PM »

There was a time in America when you could tell what an oncoming car was by it's simple profile.  You could see the make and model.  There is NO mistaking my old Coupe DeVille on the road.  American cars used to all be that way.  Proud and distinctive! 

Todays domestically made cars leave a lot to be desired!  The new stuff from Chrysler leaves a lot to be desired too, which is where this post comes full circle.  

I like the 300-C, and the new Charger is just plain SEXY!  However I also remember those '80s Imperials and they were not very common back in the day.  My dad wanted a new Seville in 1980 but settled on a Toranado XSC because mom liked Oldsmobiles.

My Grandad drove a last-generation New-Yorker until it was wrecked (by another driver) but he still loves that marque to this day!  He is a true Chrysler man and I learned it from somewhere...  His NYer was an '89, and a nice car.  I drove it!  What's sad is he traded his '67 NYer to get the '89 when new.   I'da loved to have owned THAT '67.
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Johnny D.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 06:55:42 PM »

now that toronado xsc is a car you never see anymore.... prbably a better choice that the notch back seville anyway...

as for those imps... as far as ealry 80's cars go... I'd drive it, they definitely have a good look and offer a Im different look, but would probably have take an 80-83 lincoln mark 6 instead if i was buying it new...

"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died."- John Milner

Jimmy

• View Profile
66'300 vert ~ 68'VIP fastop          

David McDonnell

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 06:30:09 PM »

Google....
Considerable marketing was put behind the new model as well, including commercials and magazine ads featuring singer Frank Sinatra, a personal friend of Iacocca. For 1981 and 1982, in fact, Sinatra editions were offered with special blue paint and emblems. This special edition included a set of 16 cassette tapes by the legendary crooner.
Nevertheless, the car did not take off. Other than its troublesome fuel injection system, it offered no technological advances, and the company's reputation for quality was still suffering from the disasters of the 1970s. Dealers often replaced the fuel injection system with carburetors. The rear styling, which had an odd, bustle-backed look vaguely similar to Junk-Bucket's controversial 1980 Seville, was a styling hindrance. Competition from the much cheaper and mechanically similar (and more reliable) Cordoba, which was sold in the same showrooms, could have been a factor as well.
Perhaps most importantly for the prestige-driven top of the market, by the 1980s the well-publicized misfortunes of Chrysler had simply rendered the name unable to compete in the same class as Junk-Bucket and Lincoln. A marque which was most often associated in the press with the word bankruptcy was unlikely to attract buyers shopping for a car that symbolized affluence. The Imperial also failed because of its tremendously poor reliability. [1] It was known to stall, suffer from premature engine failure, the electronics were known to fail rather continuously, and its overall reliability was just not up par with its competitors.
Today, due to their lack of success, these cars have some rarity value. Examples that did not have the fuel-injection system replaced are as apt to be troublesome now as they were then, though, and parts are scarce. Reportedly some Chrysler dealers just used carbureted 360 in³ V8s instead of converting the 318s when making the switch, so this configuration can probably be considered factory, even though the factory catalog does not show it. The extremely rare Frank Sinatra editions in particular will likely appreciate in value. Best I can find is 279 total production for 1981-1983..........is rare... but??....$9,000 bid has just about squeezed all the juice out of this rarity I believe...hold 20 years ...might bring 50,000.....long wait with a SPINSTER!!
Dave
Previously Owned:
'57 DeSoto Adventurer Conv.
'61 Chrysler 300G w/AutoPilot!
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak
Dave 870-248-0033 anytime

David McDonnell

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 06:35:10 PM »

MORE.........
Click here: 1982 Chrysler Imperial Frank Sinatra Edition ..........this guy wanted only 6K or ?
Previously Owned:
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 10:42:05 AM »

Quote from: MoparMatt

Brother Matt, the '89 NY was a K Car.  The Last NY was an LH car and was killed in '95 or '96.  (Any one know for sure?)  When I see them they are still gergeous.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 10:47:17 AM »

Quote from: jimmyray68
   Sinatra model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___Chrysler-Imperial-FS-series-1981-Excellent-25-000-Mile_W0QQitemZ110254401324QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110254401324 

I wrote this seller and asked him for more pictures.  He asked me why people keep asking about the EFI.  He had no idea of these car's history.  It looks like he's going to get a great price.  I was seriousley thinking about asking him if he wanted to trade for my 'vert.

Told you I liked these cars. 

David McDonnell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 10:51:21 AM »

I was selling new Chryslers in 1995-1998 and there was no 1996 model Chrysler New Yorker offered. 1995 was the last year for that name-plate........so far!!  LOL
Previously Owned:
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 11:38:18 AM »

By that time, everything was so nice then, who needed a New Yorker.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 03:12:41 PM »

Don't do it Snotty! Your vert will always be far more collectible than any 81 Imp....
TBI, EFI or EI EI O

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 03:20:08 PM »

Snotty's going bald.  He can't ride the vert anymore.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 03:04:40 PM »

TBI, EFI or EI EI O [/QUOTE]

Thanks Bobby- and cute ending! 

But, for me it's never been about collectablilty.  If it were I would not own a '70 Newport - not a "collectable" and probably never will be.  It's always been about what I like and I like those '81-'83 Imps.  Same for all of the cars I do like.  The only true collectable I like is the 300F. 

When it gets right down to it, I despise the word collectable.  I like cars.  For instance, I'd trade my Newport right now for a '65 Corvair Corsa; I'd go heads up for a 'vert and would want some additional money for a hardtop.  I'd trade for an A100 pickup.  Heck, there are plenty I'd trade for.

And Steve, I a NOT going bald!!!  Frances and I were driving with the top town today!

Sheesh! 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC