MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wax on, Wax off.  (Read 1203 times)

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« on: May 27, 2008, 05:47:05 AM »

I looked all over here and didn't see it posted anywhere so I figured I'd ask.  I may change my name from Chrysler300 to Capt. Question.

What wax do you guys recommend for these older cars?   Mine has the original paint and I've heard you want to be careful with what you put on.  I also heard a good way to muck it up real quick is use a buffer even if you know how to work one.

On the chrome I've used mothers chrome wax and man it is unreal in how it cleans up the bling. 

Thanks.

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:59:37 AM »

Been a long time since I waxed a car, not my most favourite way to spend an afternoon. I used to use Simoniz hard paste wax, it was pure h3ll to use, but the results were very good and to me, more importantly lasted a long time. There are a bunch of good liquid products that work very well. A lot of people swear by Zoop Seal, its expensive, but does a fantastic job. Just don't use stuff with abrasives like Turtle wax.

I have a power buffer that was given to me years ago, but I haven't had the guts to try it on any cars. I did polish some furniture, but wasn't overly impressed with it. It was OK on big flat surfaces, but I had to be ultra careful at transition points like edges and corners. Just barely touch a sharp edge and it started to remove the finish down to bare wood. The buffer now lives, unused in my garage and I'm back to elbow grease.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Snotty

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:04:50 AM »

I like Mother's.  I also use a buffer/waxer, and do it in three steps - apply, remove, buff.  If the paint is really oxidated I use a rubbing compound first, then do the three-step wax. 
It's green here in Chico!!

Brian

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:33:49 AM »

Mothers or Meguiers are good products...both have a 3 step, cleaner, wax and polish kits and I've used both with great success.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:41:31 AM »

Are you talking about turtle wax itself or the rubbing compound?  
I was looking at the Mequires 3 step thing at the auto store.  Good you say.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:16:04 AM »

Quote from: thrashingcows
Mothers or Meguiers are good products...both have a 3 step, cleaner, wax and polish kits and I've used both with great success.

Yep Yep Yep

Ahhhhh  Wax a car?  Me???  Not lately. . . years!
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 01:52:47 PM »

I prefer to do a two bucket wash before wax.
One with the suds,the other to rinse my sponge to keep the sudsy bucket clean.
why?
No scratches.
With original paint I prefer to hand wax and buff the car.
Factory paint can be thin and burning through the paint can be a risk with a buffer.
I use paste wax (mother's,Meguiar's or Turtle wax Gold)
I usually do everything inside the garage away from direct sunlight.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 02:52:14 PM »

Are you talking about turtle wax itself or the rubbing compound?  
I was looking at the Mequires 3 step thing at the auto store.  Good you say.[/QUOTE]

I was talking about the el-cheapo Turtle Wax that is combination product of the wipe on wipe off flavour.  It has an abrasive cleaner component and if you're not careful and rub too hard you'll damage the paint especially if you decide to use a power buffer.  The multi-step products like Meguiar's and Mother's keep the abrasive stuff out of the final coat so you can buff without fear  .. well relatively without fear given my experience with a power buffer.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Snotty

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 10:15:14 AM »

Quote from: CBarge
I prefer to do a two bucket wash before wax.

Great idea, and it is recommended by all wax companies.  So, yes, don't wax a dirty car - wash it first.
It's green here in Chico!!

firedome

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:59:11 AM »

100% pure Caranuba wax, no silicones, is the way to go imo. After you've cleaned and polished.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 12:09:44 PM »

Eagle-1 wet look is a very user friendly car wax too.  It is a liquid and can be applied when the car is still wet from washing aaaaand in the sun.  It werked great on my '66 NYer and really brought out the shine from it's semi-faded XX1 paint!
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 04:06:34 PM »

U use that on your forehead too?

I used stuff I got at the shows.  It was cannibal wax.  Used to hang on forever.  Back when I was a pup, I waxed a 52 Plymouth dark blue, with some stuff called "Tumbler Wax"  It was a hard past, but it brought that chalked paint right out.  That was another wax job that went for a long time.

There's all kinds of scam stuff out there, so follow the boys advice and stick with the recommendations.

But don't go for the wetlook.  Matt spends all day looking at wetlook sites.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 05:10:07 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
U use that on your forehead too?

I used stuff I got at the shows.  It was cannibal wax.  Used to hang on forever.  Back when I was a pup, I waxed a 52 Plymouth dark blue, with some stuff called "Tumbler Wax"  It was a hard past, but it brought that chalked paint right out.  That was another wax job that went for a long time.

There's all kinds of scam stuff out there, so follow the boys advice and stick with the recommendations.

It's funny you mentioned chalky old paint.  I looked at a '49 Chrysler Windsor business coupe on Memorial Day with about 50k original miles.  It's original blue paint was still very strong, just badly weatherized.  $5500 would own this car, last inspected in 1986, but it's solid as a rock!

You haven't seen my forehead lately Steve.  It's growing north with grey accents!  At least I have one saving grace...  you and Siss are about the same height so I'll always be taller but inevitably wider  
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 08:00:57 PM »

Whaa....no one likes to wash their car with Boraxo anymore? How about Bon Ami? 

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Wax on, Wax off.
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 04:52:46 AM »

I went with the Mguires 3 step product.  Wow!   The trunk lid has always been faded and chalk looking. Why?  My don't know.  Anyway I put on the paint cleaner, then the polish followed by carnuba wax.   It's the best it's looked in years.  You couldn't have knocked the smile off my face with a 2X4.  Not as shiny as the rest but no longer faded and dull.   I'm thinking a couple more coats carnuba after each sets will help even more.

It was unreal what it has done for the other section I worked on.   I figured I'd work on this while I save my pennies and dimes for the brake work, not a new 409 although she'd be real fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC