MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tranny cooler lines  (Read 2448 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 09:48:27 AM »

First of all I disagree with running all rubber.  Long term it will be a problem.

No matter how far you have it from the exhaust the heat will deteriate the rubber quickly.  I strongly urge you go back to steel.  You can splice it together witht he rubber in the front, but the back is where all the heat is.

I know I know.  I'm just telling you from experience.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 10:05:55 AM »

Well, the steel lines that came from under there are dead.  All I can do now is live with the rubber until I can et a set of steel lones in, and then fight to get them installed.  As long as the rubber gets me through a month or two I should be fine.
1968 Newport Convertible

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 10:11:02 AM »

A month or 2 will be OK.  I am concerned about the rubber.  Suckers could leave you stranded.

If you need the tools to do the job, I can loan them to you.  Benders and flairing tools.  Just pay the shipping back and forth.  When you are ready shoot up a flare.  You can use your originals as a template.  They really aren't that hard.

I have several of each BTW

R. Dave Carr

• View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 10:14:11 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
A month or 2 will be OK.  I am concerned about the rubber.  Suckers could leave you stranded.

If you need the tools to do the job, I can loan them to you.  Benders and flairing tools.  Just pay the shipping back and forth.  When you are ready shoot up a flare.  You can use your originals as a template.  They really aren't that hard.

I truly appreciate the offer Steve.  I figure what I will probably order a set of the reproduction lines for 50 bucks and install those.
1968 Newport Convertible

Snotty

• View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 02:49:29 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO

It took long enough for someone to say this, and I'm sad it was tou, Steve.   But, Horse-puckey!  A month or 2???  Did you read what I wrote earlier?  I had rubber on my van for 100,000 miles, and I drove it to every state in this country - in the summers!  I have it on my Newport.  When I put it on Mike at Olidale Auto Parts said it would leak in six months - that was in 2003!

Come on; say you don't like it (as you did), say you wouldn't use it, say you'd rather drive a Ford, but don't toss out a supposition that has no merit.

Do your non-pressure power steering lines go out in two months?  What about your fuel line?  Heck, it's right next to the motor and full of fuel to boot!

Or, perhaps my expierience is just not as valid as yours.

Sorry my Friend, but that comment was too much.
It's green here in Chico!!

firedome

• View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2008, 03:40:55 PM »

Rubber might well last 100K as one experience seems to show, but I wouldn't want to bet my life or a long walk home on it.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Paul

• View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 03:17:17 AM »

I just installed replacement transmission cooler lines that I bought from Inline Tube.  It wasn't that difficult to route the pressure line since my car is up on a lift.  I am not pleased with the fit, since it isn't an exact replacement, but the bends were close enough that I was able to get it hooked to the transmission after doing some pushing and bending.  I have yet to get it connected to the radiator, since it is about an inch too short.  I will need to straighten some of the curve out of the front of the line to make up this 1".  I compared it to the one that I removed, and at the front end, it was exact.  At the back end, it was almost totally different.  I didn't see the "shortage" issue until I had the line installed and at that point, I wasn't taking it out.  I will send them my original for a pattern if they will send me back a replacement.  Inline Tube uses a steel line that has a copper coating on the inside.  www.inlinetube.com
I see no problem with using rubber for lines, except for the issue of the rubber tube possibly rubbing and getting a  hole in it.   

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 04:31:49 AM »

Paul

Are you sure they weren't for a B Body and they say they will fit in a C?  Actually the configuration along the engine and trans would be the same.  If it were for a B Body, it would be short.  Maybe you can pull out what you need from the bends.  Did the fittings line up at the rad?  They should have. . . .

Paul

• View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 06:59:38 AM »

Inline Tube said that they were for a 1963 Chrysler C body, just as I had ordered.  There information indicated that it was two lines without an inline filter.  I said that I need the 3 line kit since mine has the inline filter, so I have to assume that they sent one that was for a 1960 - 1962, since that is what they list for 3 line kits.  They claim that Chrysler used more than one supplier for this part, and that the supplier might have made it differently.  I know that  this isn't correct, since all suppliers work with the same engineering drawings, and have to produce the item to that standard.  The auto manufacturers don't allow suppliers to deviate from the drawings.   I haven't gotten to putting the fittings on the radiator end, but it appears that they will line up.  I work very slowly when it is hot, so this is a drawn out project. 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 09:04:37 AM »

They all had inline filters up to 1965 as I recall.  But you can't get the filters anymore.  You CAN install a 727 filter in the trans pan though.

You are right.  Someone handed you some BS.  You probably could have used a 2 line kit for a 65 and accomplish the same thing is you eliminated the filter. . . .

Jimmy

• View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »

If you wanted, you could use this filter for the tranny fluid. 5/16" lines and all...

Available from Wix and there's the part number.
66'300 vert ~ 68'VIP fastop          

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 10:38:09 AM »

Yeah OK  That's the ticket

Use the 5/16 High pressure fuel line and you're good to go!

Thanks Jim!

Jimmy

• View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2008, 11:06:54 AM »

That filter is designed for tranny and hydraulic fluid. It is actually listed as direct fit for early 80's honda's. (Oops!, bad word)
66'300 vert ~ 68'VIP fastop          

AJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tranny cooler lines
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2008, 09:22:04 PM »

Quote from: firedome
Rubber might well last 100K as one experience seems to show, but I wouldn't want to bet my life or a long walk home on it.

I ran a trail repair very similarly...was not for 100K but it was for ~20K and it showed no signs of any deterioration.  *shrugs*  Later I spent the time and put steel ones in.

1982 Jeep CJ7 :: AMC360 Edelbrock 4bbl :: TF999 Built :: Dana300 Twin Stick :: D30 \\ AMC20 :: 7" Lift :: 35" Xterrains on ARE 15x10s :: Plenty of Fab Work.  And stiil a DAMNED KID!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC