MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radiator and engine temp  (Read 1369 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Radiator and engine temp
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 10:56:25 AM »

Sorry Tom. . .A one liner isn't enough for this one.

Bill is correct.  Idling for 10 minutes may not have been enough.  The rad has to be red hot. to be sure.  I assime the car was level when you drained it?  To get more water out, you can have the rear higher.

1 Gallon of full strength is enough for the climate, but not enough to prevent rust.  Once they get rust in the blocks, they are real hard to get  the rust out. 

Big blocks collect crap in the bottoms of the water jackets.  So here's a suggestion.
Put about an ounce of "DAWN" dish detergent in the rad when you are done and satisfied the rad is full.  That will help loosen and desolve the sludge in the water jackets.  This will also help reduce the decay of the freeze plugs.  When you get it on the road, plan on flushing it again after a few thousand miles.  The dawn keeps the sludge particles in suspension.  Dawn will also help open op the rad core and disolve some of the solder bloom.  Yeah I know. . .what is solder bloom

Solder bloom is the whait cacky stuff you see around the top of the tubes in the rad tank.  It's a reaction between the water and the lead.  It's called sulfating which is the same as what happens to an uncharged battery.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Radiator and engine temp
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 03:13:25 AM »

Well that is it.   The car was on a slight incline with the rear lower.    I'll get her just a tad bit higher on the rear this weekend and do it again as well as let it heat up a heck of a lot more.

I was going to do the 50/50 on antifreeze mix but could only get the one gal. in.  This should clear everything up.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Radiator and engine temp
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 04:21:00 AM »

Typically would be two gallons of antifreeze.

Since you're going to dump again, why not reflush it.

Don't forget gas
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Radiator and engine temp
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 04:39:18 AM »

You read my mind.  I figure it can't hurt to get it right.     An yes I'll be gettin some more gas.

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Radiator and engine temp
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 10:07:06 AM »

Quote from: Chrysler300
You read my mind.  I figure it can't hurt to get it right.     An yes I'll be gettin some more gas.

Ha! I did that and worse it was my only wheels so I had to walk to gas station. I was a long hike so I had lots of time to ponder my stupidity!

I think they call it a learning experience - and I've sure had my share of those.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC