MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing power steering hose?  (Read 2460 times)

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Replacing power steering hose?
« on: May 16, 2008, 06:38:34 AM »

I noticed a slow leak at the base of the larger steering hose where it goes into the gear.  The hose looks good and it's just at the base where it slides over the nipple.   Lots of questions.

Should I just replace the current ring clamp with a screw down type or replace the hose?

On the hose is there one made for this with the bends in it or do I just get a hose and the way it fits in they will occur naturally?

I fiugre when I take this off I'll lose the fluid in the system.  What  power steering fluid should I replace this with? 

Lastly is this an item where I need to bleed the system?

Thanks

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:41:22 PM »

I assuming your talking about the low pressure/return hose?  The one with the spring clamps holding it to the pump and steering box?

If it is the low pressure/return hose just go down to the auto parts store and get a piece of 3/8..I think on your car...tranny line hose.  The install with the original or gear clamps and your done.  The bends will happen naturally.

As for power steering fluid I always just use tranny fluid...it's a hydraulic pump just like the transmission.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:06:00 AM »

Quote from: thrashingcows
get a piece of 3/8

As for power steering fluid I always just use tranny fluid...it's a hydraulic pump just like the transmission.

A master brakecylinder is also a hydraulic pump, why not use brakefluid then?

Try a 5/8" hose.  Like a heaterhose, but it has to be oil-resistant otherwise it will turn soft and the bends will kink.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 07:57:46 AM »

Brake fluid's good properties are that it transmits pressure well and doesn't eat rubber parts. It's bad ones are that it is hygroscopic....meaning it attracts water, and that it has no ability to prevent wear in high rpm spinning (pump) mechanicals. It's only good for minimal back and forth movement like a brake piston. The water attraction is why it's used in a sealed environment like a brake system. Floor jacks use a different hydraulic fluid because they are self-bleeding and have a port open to the air.

Chrysler has always said automatic trans fluid was not recommended and voided the warranty. Something to do with leaks I think. I buy a gallon container of clear power steering fluid for my cars....it feels thicker and maybe has more anti-wear additives in it.

Lucas power steering treatment works good in a leaky system, but it's red color will void any warranty in your new car, and if you put more than 1/4 of the systems capacity in it will stiffen up the steering real bad in the winter!

stitcherbob2008-05-17 13:13:18
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 04:25:33 PM »

Quote from: stitcherbob
Brake fluid's good properties are that it transmits
pressure well and doesn't eat rubber parts. It's bad ones are that it
is hygroscopic....

DOT5 brake fluid isnt hygroscopic (however, 5.1 is)

Chrysler has always said automatic trans fluid was not recommended and
voided the warranty. Something to do with leaks I think. I buy a gallon
container of clear power steering fluid for my cars....it feels thicker
and maybe has more anti-wear additives in it.
ATF has more additives etc in it.

And slightly off-topic... for replacing the pressure hose, in my experience, the best solution
is to have a hydraulic shop make a new hose with the old joints. The
quality of the hose is far superior to the replacement PS-hoses sold in
the US. In particular, good quality hydraulic hose will not expand from
the pressure from the pump (since its designed to withstand much higher
pressures) and therefore, no loss of pressure in the hose. It gives a
better and more consistent feel compared to the simple replacement
hoses.

Besides, quite often, the so-called replacement hoses just dont fit.

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 04:46:22 PM »

Just what Sjak said and still off-topic...

If it's the return line simply use a piece of 3/8" fuel line and new clamps, as has been suggested.  Low pressure fuel line is oil and fuel resistant and will work just fine. 

The pressure line uses a JIC fitting at the steering box and an NPT fitting at the pump.  From the Chryslers I owned I remember two different sizes at the steering box...  3/8" and 1/2" if memory serves correct.  Those hoses are easy to make at any automotive parts store that has a Gate's PC707 (or comparable Weatherhead hydraulics) machine.  I've made a bunch of PS hoses fer old cars, trucks and tractors.

Look for the banner that advertises "hydraulic hoses made here".  I know the Gate's part numbers if it will help.
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 01:56:32 AM »

Quote from: MoparMatt
If it's the return line simply use a piece of 3/8" fuel line and ...

On all the Chryslers I have (owned), there is a 5/8" return-hose on the (Federal-type) pump.
See pics,

Wagon;

NewYorker;

Only once I had found and used a Federal steeringpump with a smaller exit, but the pump itself was smaller also, and didn't provide enough pressure to make steering my fullsize baby easy (especially at idle), so I sold the pump.

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 04:02:54 PM »

Thanks fer the reminder Herm.      Mine all had the Federal pumps and the 5/8" return line, like in your pictures.  The pressure line was a 3/8"...  The one pump I had with the 3/8" return was from a small block non-AC car.
Matt

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 09:04:52 AM »

It's the non pressure line.   I'll try and post a pic of it later. 

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 02:42:02 PM »

The low-pressure line is an easy fix.  Go to a better parts store or a tractor supply and buy two feet of 5/8" fuel line.  Add a couple of new clamps, cut the line to comfortable length and you are done
Matt

John Bernard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 08:10:43 PM »

Brake fluid's good properties are that it transmits pressure well and doesn't eat rubber parts. It's bad ones are that it is hygroscopic....meaning it attracts water, and that it has no ability to prevent wear in high rpm spinning (pump) mechanicals. It's only good for minimal back and forth movement like a brake piston. The water attraction is why it's used in a sealed environment like a brake system. Floor jacks use a different hydraulic fluid because they are self-bleeding and have a port open to the air.

Chrysler has always said automatic trans fluid was not recommended and voided the warranty. Something to do with leaks I think. I buy a gallon container of clear power steering fluid for my cars....it feels thicker and maybe has more anti-wear additives in it.

Lucas power steering treatment works good in a leaky system, but it's red color will void any warranty in your new car, and if you put more than 1/4 of the systems capacity in it will stiffen up the steering real bad in the winter!

thank you for this vital information, we have been scratching our heads on what happened on the power steering hose, all is good now. after reading this forum for some time i stumbled upon this thread. many thanks!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »

Hey You

[color=#ff9900 size=7]WELCOME![/color]
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 02:39:58 PM »

Wow....after all this time I have to go back and NOT recommend Lucas.....I had to suction all of it out of my Imperial when the pump almost seized! I flushed it (hooked a hose to the box and used my MightyVac tool to draw new fluid from the bottle into and through the whole system until the dirt and red was gone) and used the clear power steering fluid ...all better

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC