MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big block rear seal  (Read 2623 times)

Jimmy

• View Profile
Big block rear seal
« on: May 14, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »

Well I replaced the rear main seal a few weeks back with a Fel-pro replacement kit. I thought this kit was a little "cheezy" because the seals for the sides of the seal retaining cap were not part of the kit. Instead it was supplied with a silicone adhesive and a couple of what I call "pipe cleaners". The instructions said to slide the top half of the seal around the crank, install the other half in the seal retaining cap and slide the unit up in place. Now before doing this I ran a bead along the upper surface of the cap to seal it to the block. Now for the corny part. It said to cut the cap on the silicone and butt it to the opening on the cap and force the sealer into the cavity in which the original seal used to reside. After this, wet the "pipe cleaners" with water and force them up into the silicone cavities. I can kinda see the reasoning as it would further force the sealer up in any unfilled areas.
   Anyhow, finally fired up the damn car this evening and after about 20 minutes, you guessed it, drip, drip... It looks to be leaking on the sides of the cap as I suspected it would. I am not too broke up over dropping the steering linkage and the basepan again but this time I want to seal it for good. Any preferences in rear seal kits or a special trick I should know about? 
66'300 vert ~ 68'VIP fastop          

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Big block rear seal
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:30:32 PM »

Oh Mannn   Jimmy. ..  I used the FelPro many times.  Never had them leak.  But that was on an engine stand.

Are you sure it isn't the Pan Gasket maybe?

Try getting one from Mopar. 

At least these pans come out easier than they do on the ABE's
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jimmy

• View Profile
Big block rear seal
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 03:37:32 PM »

Now I never tried snugging the pan gasket a little more. I was kinda poisoned when I saw it dripping so when I came out from under the car I immediately flattened a few beers and came in out of it. I'll snug em up tomorrow and clean it down with a little brake cleen and see what happens. Should a got the mopar kit with the real seals anyhow, only $10.  jimmyray682008-05-14 20:38:05

Herman

• View Profile
Big block rear seal
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:05:35 PM »

There's no pressure behind the pan-gasket so oil will never drip out very fast through this.

How dry is the oilpressure-sender?

Jimmy

• View Profile
Big block rear seal
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 01:53:09 AM »

It's not the oil sender, all dry from the bell housing up. Gonna crawl under it again tonight and give it a once over. If it has to come down again it's only a half hour at most, then i'll know for sure.        Aaaaarrrgghhhhhh!!!!!

Jimmy

• View Profile
Big block rear seal
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 04:22:42 PM »

Well went out in the garage this evening for another round at it. I was prepared to drop the pan and replace the seal but instead cleaned it all off and fired it up. 20 minutes later and no leak. Shut her down and inspected it about 10 minutes later and found a little dampness. Got about 1/4 turn on the rear most basepan bolts and fired her up again. 20 minutes later and 1 drip. I can live with that. BTW, starter switch I installed crapped out. Brand new unit installed last winter, Standard motor products, I expected better. I found the box it came in because I stored the old one in it for a spare and sure enough, "Made in China".

Jimmy

• View Profile
Big block rear seal
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 07:45:57 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
  I used the FelPro many times.  Never had them leak.  But that was on an engine stand.

So if you have a minute or two, could you walk me thru the procedure for the Fel-pro kit? I am a little confused about the rear cap seals and the retaining bolt sleeve. I would appreciate a step by step on it. The kit does not include the long side rubber seals for the cap but is replaced by silicone and water absorbing strips. It is fel-pro pt# BS40240.

UPDATE!

jimmyray682008-05-21 15:07:44

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Big block rear seal
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 11:40:24 AM »

I have to look at the book.  I forget off the top of my head, which is about to explode.  The right angle ones are for the bearing caps as I recall, if they fit.  I need to find a picture of a big block to refresh my memory.

Brian

• View Profile
Big block rear seal
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 02:38:33 PM »

Jimmy...I'm interested too since today I was about to embark on my rear main seal replacement on the 440.

I bought a complete engine gasket kit and it only has the upper and lower crank seals and the 2 funny L-shaped ones...no side seals.

So when you did yours the first time you did the upper and lower crank seal and the siliconed the sides?

My side seals are still nice and tight so I'm thinking of reusing them with a thin coat of silicone.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Jimmy

• View Profile
Big block rear seal
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »

I never used the L seals or the cap bolt seals. I am assuming they are cap bolt seals as they fit snugly around the bolts and barely fit into the cap itself. When I got home this evening I guinea pigged a 383 block I aquired last week (crank still intact). There was no sign of the L seals or bolt seals when I removed the cap. Did notice though that the bolt holes tapped in the block for the seal cap are drilled thru and exposed to an open bellhousing above the crank. Wondering if the bolt seals are used to seal this and maybe this is where the oil is coming from? Cant see this being possible though.  

Jimmy

• View Profile
Big block rear seal
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 04:35:20 PM »

Found out those funky seals are for the /6 only. Apparently Fel-pro is combining the kit to cover /6 and big blocks since they both use the same rear cap and seal design. If purchased for the big block just discard the seals.
   Anyhow, just replaced it this evening and all is well. I must have goofed somewhere but when I disassembled it I was careful to look for my mistake. Could not find a problem anywhere? There was one somewhere though...

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Big block rear seal
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 05:51:46 PM »

I dunno!  I never saw all that crap.  I'm used to gettting engine sets and doing it on a stand.  But the last rear main I did in the car, I don't remember seeing all that extra stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC