MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint Problem  (Read 645 times)

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
Paint Problem
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:41:07 AM »

I think I may have done something stupid.  The Dart has a lot of minor dents and dings, and it will be a long time (if ever) before it is good enough to spend real money on a real paint job.

Much of the original blue has worn off the hood and decklid, so to keep this from getting any worse, I sprayed the hood with a rattle can.  I couldn’t find anything in the duplicolor cans that was even close to the light blue on the car, so I went with Harbor blue from Rustoleum.

It actually went on well, and looks good from 20’
My plan was to gradually work around the car, cleaning up any rust spots, and spray it all with the Rustoleum blue.

Problem is,  I started filling a hole on the front fender, and when I sprayed some Duplicolor primer over the new blue paint, I got a wrinkly mess.

At that point it occurred to me that the primer is probably a lacquer, and the Rustoleum is probably an enamel, and that the two kinds of paint don’t always play nice with each other.

In the short run, this is not really a problem, (now that I know about it), but my concern is what will happen if I do end up wanting to paint the car properly at some point in the future.

My hope is that this happened because the enamel was not fully cured (it had only been on there a couple of days)

If not, is there something that can be sprayed over enamel, to allow a lacquer top coat, or would all the enamel have to be stripped off?

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Paint Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:46:15 AM »

Dan

Enamel on Lacquer is OK.  It's the other way around.  Lacquer has the bigger bite
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jay Holder

• View Profile
Paint Problem
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 12:00:53 PM »

use a rattle can sealer befor you paint it. that will keep it from "lifting" or "burning up". also spray acouple dry coats b4 you put on a heavy coat of paint

firedome

• View Profile
Paint Problem
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 03:08:04 PM »

I'd strip it to metal and start fresh...

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Paint Problem
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 03:33:18 PM »

That's an awfully big hole in your fender. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC