MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aging of tires.  (Read 1089 times)

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« on: May 12, 2008, 07:06:51 AM »

Read the attached letter that  I recieved at work.
Tires can be as old as the car itself and as long as they have been well maintained they are still considered safe to use.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:09:21 AM »

I am in the tire business and from experience tires that are not cracked - yet old - can be hard as a rock.They may have trouble in wet conditions and also give a harsh ride.
BUT still be considered safe to use.
MTO here considers a tire worn out when it has two consectutive measurements across  the tire's tread that has 2/32" or less of tread left---meaning the tire is actually bald/worn out.

CBarge2008-05-12 12:13:50
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:45:38 AM »

Interesting.

I've always been a tire freak, I think I inherited my attitude from my father who was paranoid about his tires, brakes and steering.

Anyway I've found that nice new tires grip wet and icy roads much better than experienced ones, so I normally replace tires after about 5 years regardless of how much tread is left. I've always bought the biggest top-of-the-line tires that will fit on the car. Realistically the price difference between El' Cheapo and  good tires isn't that great and a heck of a lot cheaper than the potential cost of a high speed blowout or a fender bender caused by  poor traction.  I realize my attitude must be music for your "tire dealer ears" but it works for me. 

Over the years I've only had one tire fail on the road and that tire was my own stupid fault. It happened during a high speed overloaded Fury run from Toronto to Calgary.  The tire didn't actually blow, the radial belt separated and came off  like  the skin on a recap truck tire.  BTW on that trip, I left Toronto on Sat at 6 AM, slept overnight in Winnipeg and had dinner Sun at 7PM in Calgary.

I guess however, that trip says a lot more for good tires than the idiot driver!

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Brian

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:08:59 AM »

See I'm the opposite of Bill...I figure as long as it rolls and holds air and has no dry rot or cracking and decent tread then I'll use it until there is no tread.

The set that came on my 87 ram are "old" and are hard as rocks and ride rough but they have decent tread ad no rot so I'll probably run them for a couple more years.
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Herman

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 12:11:24 PM »

That's probably one of the reasons why insurance premiums are as high as they are.

BigBlockMopar2008-05-12 17:11:39

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:28:44 PM »

Quote from: thrashingcows
See I'm the opposite of Bill...I figure as long as it rolls and holds air and has no dry rot or cracking and decent tread then I'll use it until there is no tread.

Pardon me for jumping on you, but a statement like that,  from a professional trucker just makes me shake my head in disbelief. I don't know about you but I sure don't ever want to attend a
family members funeral and wondering if the the $500 I saved on tires could have made a difference.

So shame on you Brian!  I know my wife and  kids are worth a heck of a lot more than the price of a good set of tires, why are you different?

Brian

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 03:44:33 PM »

Hey Bill...The wifes car gets new tires and way better care than my old truck, I pretty much am the only one who drives my truck.  And being a profesional truck driver I'm always careful with my driving, and I wouldn't run the tires if I felt they were unsafe...I'm diligent about my tires and there condition and inspect them and the wifes regularly...trucker habits...not that you don't have valid points and I agree that newer tires would/could make a difference in certain situations.

I take no offense and probably deserve a good finger shaking and maybe a kick in the pants.  I hope I didn't come across as being lazy about my tire care and maintance. 

But I would never be able to sleep knowing the wifes car, which carries the kids 99% of the time, was anything but top notch.
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »

Well I feel better now!

Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, my kids are well aware of my tire fetish. Last Dec just before my oldest daughter had my grandson she arrived at our house complaining that her car was sliding all over the road in the light snow that was falling. I grabbed her keys and told her I'd check her tires. After a couple of turns I headed for my tire guy and had a new set of Micheln's installed.  If nothing else that made me feel a lot better!

Fury4402008-05-12 21:03:09

Brian

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »

Yeah I've had calls from the wife when I've been out of town...the car is making a thump thump thump when driving.  I've told her to head to the nearest Kal-Tire and get them to check the tires...usually this is the problem and they get her fixed and on her way.

Sometimes it sucks being out of town and not being able to be there in person to check these things out.  That is why I'm usually so dilligent with her vehicle and maintance.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »

I beat Bill....my car goes a lot less than 5 years before getting new tires....after all I live in Joisey. They bubble or go flat so often, 2 years would be a blessing!

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 03:40:44 AM »

And What do you think of a guy who sells you a car with "May Pops"  (May Pop any minute)

He Chris!  Thanks allot pal. . .. .        I didn't get 50 feet outa these. . . .

Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 07:28:44 AM »

Edit - Don't know why my uploaded picture is shown as a link, I must have pushed a wrong button?

POLARACO2008-05-13 14:31:30

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:19 AM »

I have to say that paper Leaburn got is Hog Wash.  I've seen plenty of tires just plum give up. 
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 02:57:46 PM »

Basically it a a letter full of politics so the tire manufacturers can cover their butt..
I wanted youse guys run with it before I put my 10 cents in.
We changed a lot of tires that were still technically legal and safe for the road.
However,In my professional opinion,any tire that is doubtfull be that it may have any cracking in the tread and/or sidewall is a candidate for failure.
I grew up with friends who had Model A Phords.they had tires on them that were so hard as a rock that they had zero traction--even on his garage floor.We dismounted them and they even stood up after we sat on them. Safe to drive on? NO
I removed tires two weeks ago from a '72 GTO at work.They had to be at least from the early 80's.You could see that the cracks were so deep that you could see the  cords---yet he DROVE to the shop like that and still held air.
Low profile tires are the worst.Poeple drive the newer cars with no regard to their tires and rims.It is an almost everyday thing to me to see large chunks missing from the sidewalls from people's poor driving habits and hitting curbs,sidewalks.Impact breaks (huge goiters or bubbles from the sidewalls are common from hitting schtuff with todays lo-pro tires).
"Oh,the tires are almost new,can I still drive it til I need new tires????"
 D'uh.  NO
I always tell my clients the truth whether they like it or not--especially when there are kids being transported in the cars.It may not be the thing they want to hear,but I am looking out for their best interest.
I will make the sale only if it is required.
But some people you just cannot convince.
"No,I cannot fix the sidewall..."
No,I will not put a tube in that tire.your truck is overloaded..."
"The fix-a-flat can you put in the tire just ruined the casing and our vulcanizing glue reacts to the chemicals.You need a new tire..."
No we cannot mount/balance the spare on the factory wheel for you..it is a dummy
"We stopped installing liners before I was even born..."
I get RV owners whining that the tires are rotted even though they have almost new tread.They should have protected them from the elements including harmful sunlight.
Bottom line is..
when in doubt,change them out..

1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Aging of tires.
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 08:59:17 PM »

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC