MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kaw - Liga's distributor  (Read 2031 times)

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 12:29:26 PM »

Hi Snotty.  I'm new to working on cars and been getting some advice from Polarac and others over in the engine section.   I moved he distributor issue here.

They are helping me to determine if this needs to be replaced in whole or just the breakers.  The car is 43 years old 85,000 miles all original parts.  I need to know if any play in the cam is allowed.  If not I take it the shaft is shot and needs to be replaced.  

Once we have this determined I'll need to readjust timing, dwell etc.

On the fan everything I read, internet and tech manual it said turning the fan would move this.  

Herman

• View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 12:39:16 PM »

The rotational play in the shaft you're feeling is centrifugal advance mechanism of the ignition. That's normal.

If your fan has a thermo-clutch you won't be able to turn the engine with it. But if it has just a solid with a spacer between it, you might be able to turn the engine if the fanbelt is tight enough so it still grabs, but most likely not.
You can lean with your other hand on the fan belt a little to make it grab the pulley better, but this sometimes can snatch your fingers if you're not carefull

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 12:44:18 PM »

If you have clutch fan (A/C Models)  You'll have to grab the belts to turn it.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 01:56:34 PM »

Bad or poorly adjusted points will cause a backfire from the carberator.  As Herman said, check for lateral movement at the top of the distributor shaft.  It should be reasonable tight, as in no more than 1/16" in any direction.

Here is what yer points look like for reference

MoparMatt2008-05-09 19:01:02
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 02:15:27 PM »

FYI
I moved the posts from the other thread starting at the distributor question. 

HEAD kAHOONA

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 06:06:28 AM »

Ha.  Moving the other stuff over threw me for a moment .  I thought  went to the wrong thred then I figured you must have moved them.

I bought Dielectric Grease,  Permatex band.  Will this work for the lobes?  Of course I forgot to the the new rotor I was so focused on finding this and exchanging the 10 w 30 oil for 10 w 40.

I'll do the dollar bill trick and once I get the word from you will or will not apply this grease I picked up.   From what I read at a site called allpar I should hold on the gaping until I get a timing light correct?  Any suggestions on what one to get.  Dwell meter recommendations welcome also.

On the cam again it does have some play I'd say about 1/8 to 1/4 twist.  Sorry for forgetting which on of you guys told me but this OK as  its an advance deal correct?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 10:11:55 AM »

Dielectic grease is too sticky.  Keep it around though. . .it will come in handy on other things we're going to approach

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 03:13:42 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Dielectic grease is too sticky.  Keep it around though. . .it will come in handy on other things we're going to approach
That involves cattle prods and cavity searches....LOL!! Just kidding.

This is an excellent thread for those with points and possibly convert them.I am a firm believer in getting rid of points.
My factory original distributor has over 100K on it and I have no problem with it.I am running the Pertronix and my engine does not skip a beat.
The Pertronix is an excellent product even
 if your dizzy has some wear. 
But first lets get our buddy up and running ..
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 03:17:02 AM »

Ghees miss a day posting to take car of mothers day  and  sons birthday to come back to the fear of cattle prods and cavity searches.    I heard iniation here was rough.
I did get a few seconds yesterday and put a dab, very small dab of gresse on the distributor lobe.  I have a parts store ordering the other stuff.  AC Delco part U1901.
I think we may have her close to set up just about right now.   On the very 1st bump yesterday she fired right up.      It's running very smooth and I have next to no smoke from the tail pipe for the 1st time in years.   I'm sure the biggest problem was the carb being out of adjustment.  Of course this is all just idling so we'll see how it goes once I have the brakes fixed and get on the road.

I still want to gap it correctly and check the timing.  Any recommendations on a timing light?   If I get the timing correct should I still mess with the dwell meter?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 05:10:25 AM »

Didn't a squad of marines camp out on your lawn last night?  Check the trunk of the Chrysler.

I realize you want to putz with it and get her going. . . What was the decision on the brakes?

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 08:55:02 AM »

Heck I don't know.   More than likly have them done.   I really want to work on them but the rational side is saying let an expert do this part.   I'd feel pretty bad if I did it and then something happened with someone getting injured.  Plus a garage would have it in a few days, me a few weeks. 

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 07:21:30 AM »

So any thoughts on the timming light or further work with the dizzy for right now or should I wait until I have it road ready and tackle it then?  She is firing up better than ever, pretty sure part of it's the new big boy battery, and I'm itching to play with more stuff and get it just right.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 12:11:58 PM »

let's wait on that.  If you did the dollar bill and the points don't look all pitted, let's focus on the other things.

Did we addr4ess the charging system yet?

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 03:17:25 PM »

Not yet.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kaw - Liga's distributor
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 03:59:03 PM »

New Post!