MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Kaw-Liga is runing.  (Read 1876 times)

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« on: May 02, 2008, 01:35:45 PM »

Kaw-Liga is running. 

This ole Florida boy done did what ya'll suggested.

Went and got a new battery today, 940 CCA's.  Filled the float chambers on the carb.  2nd crank and off she ran. 
Saddly as said in the movie A Christmas Story when we are at our Zenith we can hit our low. 
Pushed the break pedal and heard a bang or pop from something other than the engine and then no resistance.  So she's a runnin but now my got no stop.  Then after running a bit she started to bang out of the carb when we hit the gas pedal and ran very rough.
Shut her down pronto and came here to report.
Thoughts and suggestions welcome.Chrysler3002008-05-02 18:41:01

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 01:49:58 PM »

Yer batting a 1000 here

Brakes
Popped a brake line somewhere.  Look for the puddle.

Popping through the carb?  May have just been looking for some fuel that wasn't there yet or a piece of crud got in a jet for something.

Change the fuel filter

Do this old timers trick
History
In the olden days of manual chokes, a mechanics trick to keep the carbs clean inside was to pull on the choke while coasting at high speeds or down hills.  This caused allot of vacuum to go through all the ports and suck out the crap.

Essentially we want to do the same thing here.  Start it up and rev up the engine to 2000 or 3000 RPM.  Slam the choke butter fly closed tight.  Open the throttle at the same time to try to keep it running.  Before it stalls let the butter fly go and let the engine clean out.  See if it idles better then.  Repeat as necessary.

These "Damned Kids" (Registered expression by Polaraco.  Pat. Pend.) laugh at that stuff. . . But it sure beats the daylights out of rebuilding the carb and clears up things carb cleaner can't do.

Now report back to us

POLARACO2008-05-02 18:50:52
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »

Thanks for all the help and advice polaraco.  I can't thank you enough.  
I know this sound cocky but I must be a bit smarter than I think .  On the break I was thinking the same thing.  No puddle yet but figure by morning I'll see it an can attack the problem.
On the carb I'll give the choke trick a try.  Will this cause the shaking and rough idle or is that a missing cylinder.

On points I need you to let me know what they are or to look for.  All I know is it has a distributor cap and wires run directly to the plugs.  Points to me are the firing points in the cap.  About three years ago my brothers father in law came over and put a timming gun on it and everything was adjusted and running fine.  I figure that is another thing I will need to learn to do.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 05:13:16 PM »

Pop the distibutor cap off.Check the points-if equipped.
You can clean and re gap them to .017 only if they ar not burned up.
If they are burned up replace them or install a Pertronix conversion kit.
Follow Polaraco's suggestions as well.
You had three plugs out before staring up? Make sure the plugs are tight in the head and wires are plugged in all the way on the plugs and distributor cap.
She may still be running on old gas that was not drained completely.
Double check all vacuum lines and if they are cracked replace them.
Rotten lines can create a vacuum leak and make the engine run rough.
s for the brakes,check the flex hoses and wheel cylinders.
Wheel cylinders can leak and take some time to show any obvious fluid leaks.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »

Lea

Slow down there

He's going to need step by step instructions and picture support.

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 07:08:33 AM »

Tried the butterfly trick with the carb.  Got the RPMS up, found a lever on the carb which will close the butterfly and moved it.   I could hear a sucking sound and she started to die off after a few seconds.  I let go and the butterfly opened but the engine still died off.   When I tried to restart it no go and smoke came from the oil cap vent.

So did I just kill my car?   Is it just hot and needs to sit? 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 08:47:08 AM »

Probably blowby venting.  The PCV system may need attaention

No, you probably didn't blow it up.

Take the dip stick out and smell the oil.  See if it smells like gasoline.  If it does, you need a fuel pump.

Engine off. . .Lean over the carb and hit the throttle with the engine off.  See if you are getting a squirt of gas when you push on the accelerator quick.  If fuel comes out, even if it's just a dribble, there's fuel in the carb

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 01:59:02 AM »

I've checked the dip stick.  No gas smell.  I learned that trick the hard way.  Pump went bad a few years ago.  I was driving around like a rolling  smoke screen. Brother in law came for a visit and let me in on this one.

I'll give her a try today.  May be out of gas too.   I only put two gallons in the tank yet I can't imagine I've idled enough to burn that much.

Would you give me the low down on the PCV system?  I'm guessing the round disk on the side of the carb.

Also what do you think the smoke was?  Could it have been steam?  It didn't smell or come out in a big cloud.  Just a little wisp.

Chrysler3002008-05-04 06:59:43

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 04:29:41 AM »

My name is Hobby

Oh. . Been dabbling with Mopars for about 45 years. . . .  Butch and I are OLD!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 03:03:36 PM »

It sounds like all of the bases have been covered here.  You have fresh fuel, GOOD.  I'm thinkin' breaker points that are out of adjustment, just like the others have said.

A tight .0018 or moderately loose .0017 will do the trick.  Remember that you are setting for dwell angle, which should be around 29/30 degrees.  I still have a tach/dwell meter so I know how it should be done.  If I were close by I'd come and help you do it. 

Try a new set of plugs while yer in there (gapped at .0035), they are still less-than two bucks a piece for older engines.  A total tune-up sounds like it's in order...  Then proper trouble shooting can begin.
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 02:03:08 AM »

I don't have any useful suggestions this point, but perhaps a picture will help make sure we are all on the same page.

That is a Carter AFB which is what is supposed to be on a '65 300.  Does yours look like the same sort of carb?  Yours should have a vacuum pull off for the choke.  It may be the round thing you mention.  It should be screwed to the corner of the carb above the coil (lower left of the picture)

The PCV valve is the round can in the upper left of the picture.  The vacuum hose that comes off the bottom front of the carb ends up over there and sucks the nasty fumes out of the engine through the valve on the passenger side valve cover.
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Herman

• View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 02:38:43 AM »

You mostlikely got a ruptured vacuumbooster-membrane along with a rusted master brake cylinder.
The leaky membrane causes your engine to run lean (false vacume) and lean running engines tend to backfire through the carb.

To check, just disconnect the hose running from the intake to the brake-booster and plug the hole at the intake.

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 03:41:45 AM »

Thanks Matt.  I'm really green so I have a zillion questions.  
I'll get the new plugs, I just changed them before letting her sit but figure it can't hurt to get some new ones.  I think I'll change out the wires too.
On the breaker points what exaclty are these?  Part of the distributor?   

I've also looked at all the hoses I can see and none apper to be cracked.   I'm going to try and find the other post where I was told what hose size to get and change these out.    I still need some help with the PCV.  I looked all through my manual last night and could not find this.  I did see the round disk on the carb I though was it is actually the choke vacuum disk.   I dont' want to start monkeying around with the carb to much yet.  Still have a lot to learn and from the manual it looks pretty delicate and easy to mess up.

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 03:47:57 AM »

Thanks to all.  I didn't see the 2nd page until the post just prior to this one.

I'm going to see if I can get a pic of the carb on here today.   After the one posted I'm pretty sure now it's not an AFB.  It has 4bbrs and figure it was changed out when my grandfather had it converted for non led fuel.

I see in the pic the head covers are blue.  I take it they are standard.  The ones on my engine are black.

Chrysler3002008-05-05 08:49:27

Herman

• View Profile
Kaw-Liga is runing.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 03:59:32 AM »

It's "BRAKE", not "break"
Although in your case it might be "broken"...

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC