MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio swap - up to 2000 works?  (Read 738 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
Radio swap - up to 2000 works?
« on: May 02, 2008, 10:12:22 AM »

Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else, but I looked and couldn't find anything...

The factory 8-track on Wanda (1979 New Yorker) is dead.  Eventually I'm going to put something nice in - but for now I'd like to just get "something" in there that works.

I just want to double-check that most any Chrysler sound system from the 80s and 90s will plug in and work in my car with no need for modifications.  I'm curious - how close to the present will these systems switch with mine?  Was it in 2000 that the systems changed?

So, for example, would this swap into my car even though it's fairly modern:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge-AM-FM-CD-Cassette-Radio-OEM_W0QQitemZ150242721186QQihZ005QQcategoryZ38640QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have my eye on an Infinity I system:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150242712366&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

But I'd LOVE to find a cheap, working Infinity II.......for that 80s look, mostly. 
1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »

I have one from a 92 Pickup which is about to hit the round storage bin. . .   It's a cassette

Not sure if it's just a plug in or what.  There were allot of changes between 79 and 90.  But I might imagine there would be no changes.  This radio would be very similar.

If you want to pay the UPS charges, you can have this one for nothing.  Otherwise it's going to become landfill
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 05:23:36 PM »

Yep,they work.I ran a deck from a Sebring in my 90 Caravan I sold..
I hada '90's deck in my old 78 Newport.
My Dippy is running an early 90's deck
The decks are a direct bolt in deal with zero mods to the faceplate or dash
The pigtails may be a little different but you can get one from a wrecking yard .Most yards may even let you have the wiring for free (depends on who and their mood,,LOL) since nobody really needs one
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 11:11:04 AM »

I attempted to install a radio I swapped frm my '84 Fifth Avenue into the '79 Cordoba I owned.  It was a bolt-up but the pigtals were totally different.  You will need to do a lot of cutting/splicing on your input wires.

You could check at a stereo shp to see if tey make an adaptor.

Be careful, for there are differences in the radios made in the past two decades.  The radio I pulled from my '93 Dakota will not bolt into to my '96 Stratus.  The pigtail on a '92 Dakota radio was significantly different from the '93 CD/Cassette combo I installed.  (A friend offered me the '92 for free, but I couldn't use it without modification.)  There are differences in the mounting points for those intended for trucks/vans as opposed to those intended for cars.

Good luck!
It's green here in Chico!!

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »

See that's interesting....

Snotty had problems going from a truck to a car - but going from a mini-van to a car was no problem for CBarge.   That's Chrysler for ya'.

Thanks for the offer, Polaraco - but I think after this last post I'm going to see about pulling a head unit from a car - just to be safe.  It shouldn't cost more than $15-$20 total, anyway.

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC