MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Look What Mobby Found...  (Read 1684 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Look What Mobby Found...
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 12:07:28 PM »

I suggested the 135 because it will run on 115VAC.  He doesn't have to mess with wiring on the house.  My Miller will do stainless. . . It's pretty much a full featured machine.  There is a spot welding attachment for it, but it's pretty expensive. 

Spot Welding would do great for him too.  If I get the 1/4's done on the VOAB soon, he can borrow mine.  He won't need to learn how to run beads.  I made myself a highbread spot welder.  It's going to be kind of idiot proffed.  Even I can use it.

POLARACO2008-05-03 17:08:28
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Mike

• View Profile
Look What Mobby Found...
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 12:13:11 PM »

The more I read the sadder I get   ...Anyways, I know a few people with welding experience and they have their own welders, gonna see if I can talk to them about helpin me out.  If nothing else, I might have to just part it out and take the loss   Only time will tell, but it does seem as though I'm in way over my head, especially since I don't have much experience in restorations....yet

'68 Fury III
'03 Ram 1500 Hemi Power Baby
Part of the Jersey Mob

Brian

• View Profile
Look What Mobby Found...
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 12:55:35 PM »

Rust is like an Iceberg...only a 1/3rd is visible...the other 2/3rd's is hidden...but still there and once you start digging....
I Have been there, done and paid through the nose for metal work...cheaper in the long run to buy a rust free shell out of a dry area of the US and have it shipped and restore that...doesn't matter if the body is stripped you have all the pieces there.

I bet you have over $10K worth of metal work there, if you were to pay someone to fix it that is.

Just my opinions, I wish someone had told me staright up years ago when I restored my rusty mopar....

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Look What Mobby Found...
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 01:04:04 PM »

GM and Ford Guys aren't as creative or craftsman-like as we are.

They just order another one from JC Whitney.

Mike you're young.  If you have the Disease now, Like Mobby, then it's a good time to learn.  If you are going to buy tools and equipment, but the good stuff.  Take care of it and it will last you a lifetime.  You'll be able to pass it on to all the Little Mikes (If there is such a thing as little) you have.

Maybe finding a car down in Arizona would be the smartest thing to do.  Why not write to Azblackhemi and see if he can help you out.  When you have allot of money invested in a car like that' you try to be optimistic
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
Look What Mobby Found...
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 01:42:15 PM »

I originally thought my rusty mopar would ONLY need quarter, trunk and a few patches on the floor....turned out I had to back half the car practically, full floor boards, inner fenders and rad support..(think 1000 spot welds..) etc.etc.etc.....when done we had replaced 80% of the car with new metal, and I had $25K into a shell worth $5K....

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Mike

• View Profile
Look What Mobby Found...
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 01:48:22 PM »

Steve, I only buy the best (long as I can afford it) ask Mobby...But ya I do have the disease and I've wanted to learn to weld for a few years now, just never had the reason to...My dad actually has a couple of welders, so I'm gonna see if I can't get him to show me the basics to get me started.

'68 Fury III
'03 Ram 1500 Hemi Power Baby
Part of the Jersey Mob

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Look What Mobby Found...
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 02:38:45 PM »

It would appear that this Duster will be wonderful practice in the metal fab and cutting and welding department.  I learned from the same.  It CAN be done!

I did all of mine with a Lincoln stick, but after some finesse it all looked good...
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Look What Mobby Found...
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 02:45:02 PM »

I better get back to work updating the BoaB thread..
Mike will need some inspiration..LOL

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC