MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tried to start Kaw-Liga today.  (Read 3044 times)

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Tried to start Kaw-Liga today.
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 06:38:10 AM »

Thanks for the info on the oil.   Is the Valvoline high milage for older cars good stuff?   I will look for SL.

No smoke in engine compartment.   just puffs.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 06:43:21 AM »

You just have some blow by on the rings.  They could be sticky from sitting.  It will go away when you get it running and warmed up.

We're not worried about that right now.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 10:26:40 AM »

Checked out the oil at the parts store.  Only able to find one brand with only SL on it, Havoline.  Found valvoline max life syn blend but it had sm/sl. Matter of fact almost all said exceeds API services SM/SL.  In the dot next to it it says API Service SM.  Are these the ones to steer away from?Chrysler3002008-05-08 15:27:51

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 11:21:47 AM »

Hard to say anymore.  They took the good stuff out of the oils now too because of the freakin tree huggers.  They're out of control.

Any one will be OK, just use a heavier weight, like a 10/40.  Mobil One is real good, but don't go there until you have straightened out the engine issues and be sure there are no leaks.

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 11:30:47 AM »

Motor oil is a subject of many opinions.  I personally like Valvoline and Castrol GTX in a conventional blend.  Your better parts stores like NAPA and CarQuest sell Valvoline under thier own house label.  Virtually all commercial gasoline-engine oils will carry the proper API rating.

I wouldn't spend the extra scratch for a synthetic or semi-synthetic as your engine simply will not benefit from it.  Those oils are great for fresh engines.

I have always been a fan of Wix filters too.  The part number you need is 5515 if my parts-guy memory hasn't totally faded away yet.

What brand of plugs did you score?  Hopefully Champions (OEM) or at least Autolites.  In my three big blocks I ran Autolite 85's and never had any bad issues with them.  In a properly tuned engine they'd last for several thousand miles.
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2008, 12:02:03 PM »

Agree with Matt - Valvoline & Wix... Hastings filters are also excellent.   A lot of hi-perf guys don't like Mobil One... Castrol GTX is also good, one of the weights only is labeled "Made in Germany" - supposedly it is the best, I forget if it's 15w40 or what, the rest are labelled differently... this is by way of my son the oil maven (for his race car).
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2008, 12:26:05 PM »

Matt, you're the only person I've ever seen someone advising to buy Champion-plugs.
Have a look around at various Mopar-forums and you'll find not many people have good results with these crappy little buggers...
Let me say this, if I ever see a Champion-plug in my garage or car again, I'll yank it out, 'talk' to it with a BF-hammer and toss it away as far as I can.

BigBlockMopar2008-05-08 17:26:22

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2008, 01:17:26 PM »

Wix filters and Mobil one.That's what I use.
Use a good regular oil for now until you straigthen out the bugs.
Once the engine gets settled and is running healthy then go to a good quality oil.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2008, 01:34:20 PM »

She is up an running like a top. 

Came home switch the plugs. Old ones were champions.  I take the BF-Hammer to them later.    Took off the fuel line and felt sucking on pump and hooked it back up.  Filled the float bowl and after several tries she fired up and ran and ran.

The auto store only had auotlite 85 in stock so I went with those.  Ran a bit rough but adjusted the screws out, I say about one full turn doing so in 1/8 incraments as directed.  Ran it for about 10 to 15 mins and got smoother as it went.  No smoke, no oil light, no heat light.  As it heated up it came off fast idle and slowed down nice.  It's trying to stall a little bit but I figure adjust the screws out a bit more.

I'll do the oil this weekend.  I have a choice of the Havoline and the Valvoline blend.  Recommendations welcome.  Purolater filter pureone filter.

I can not tell you how excited I am and thankful for all of your help.  I took a video of it but photo bucket will not download.  Says it's to big.   Music to my ears.

Chrysler3002008-05-08 18:36:40

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2008, 01:45:08 PM »

Congratz!
You could try YouTube for move-uploading. Max 10 minutes.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2008, 01:46:47 PM »

You have to understand how hard it is for us when we can't see and hear.  You did a pretty good job describing what was going on which was a big help.

So I assume you put more gas in the tank?  Believe me, it's happened to the best of us.  When putting gas in a car, you loose a gallon when the tank is dry.  Then you loose another pint or so filling the lines and carb.  Doesn't leave much to run on.

What sound like is happening is the carb may have some oxidation inside.  It's just a fine dust.  As the air passes through the passages and gaskets swell, it will improve.  Leave that for now and let's work on the points next.

Then will be the brakes. . .breaks. . .whatever

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 01:48:49 PM »

Glad I didn't do the oil now.  The book says 10 30 but see here 10 40 would be better.  I'll trade it in tomorrow.
I was really hoping the video would post so you could hear it.  Sounds pretty good.  When I first started her I had a knocking sound in the front by the fly wheels.  Since it wasn't the side I figured it was OK and just needed the adjusting.  For some reason I was thinking a slapping belt but did not see one.  Then I thought maybe the distributor or something catching up with the timming as I adjusted the screws.   I was watching for smoke like a hawk.   I hear smoke is bad thus my concern about it coming from the covers.Chrysler3002008-05-08 18:53:24

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2008, 02:08:36 PM »

Let us know if the knocking subsides.

It's hard to describe the sounds in writing.  Maybe a short video will work?

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2008, 02:13:47 PM »

Trying to get hooked onto youtube to load it but having some trouble.  I'll try it at the office tomorrow.  Better computer.

The knocking subsided as I adjusted it and not making it now.

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 02:27:23 PM »

Sorry Herman, Champs were OE...  I never used them by choice personally.  Autolites served me just fine thank-you .

Good show 300! 

Now to fix the brakes...
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC