MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tried to start Kaw-Liga today.  (Read 2884 times)

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
Tried to start Kaw-Liga today.
« on: May 01, 2008, 03:36:58 PM »

After letting my car sit for over a year I figured it was time to get her running again.

Pulled the pulgs on three cylinders this afternoon.  All had light oil/gas and no rust. Dip stick showed oil and was good color so I figured good to go and put them back in.  Put in 2 gallons fresh 93 Oct gas took out bad gas yesterday.   Got my daughter, needed someone to run the key, pulled coil wire and turned over 3 times for 10 seconds each.  Everything moved.   Put wire back in pulled off the air cleaner and tired to turn her over.  No dice.  Just would not fire.  I went to engine starter fluid.  Figured it would help turn it over and also provide the lubrication I was concerned about. She'd fire off for a second or two trying to run.  Without spray nothing.  With spray she tries to fire.
I'm thinking gas not getting to her.  Should I see a spray/mist coming out of the carb barrels?  I don't see anything.
Any thoughts.

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:02:47 PM »

Pour a little of that 93 octane down the carb,it will run a little longer than it will on starting fluid and help the fuel pump pull gas up the carb. Thats what I do with mine after a long winters nap.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 04:12:52 PM »

Yep. . . If you put the gas in the tank, I suggest you dribble a tad into the carb like the Old Dog just said.
Suggestion, even thought the battery may be good, jump start it anyway.  It will turn over faster and move the fuel up front faster
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 04:15:04 PM »

What carb are you running?
Not that it really matters...I would recommend filling up the float bowl in the carb.The engine should run long enough at idle to prime the fuel pump.
There are vent tube(s) at the top of the carb that go to where the float is.Use a small hose/tube/straw and funnel and pour gas in there.Hit the gas and check if the gas squirts into the engine..It squirts? OK,fire 'er up!
You can pour gas down in the carb's butterfly but she will not run long enough.Not to mention flooding it or getting the plugs wet by pouring too much in. 
Hope this helps.Should work.It did for me on my 383 after a 31 year slumber..
CBarge2008-05-01 21:16:24
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 04:30:37 PM »

Thanks guys.  I did pour a bit of gas in the carb but not sure how much was to much so I used a very little bit.
Not sure of the make of the carb but think it's original 4 bbr.   The vent tubes are the brass tubs out over the inside of the carb correct?   About how much will it take to fill the vent tube?  Table spoon more less?  Also should I fill all four or will filling one take care of float bowl.

As you see I'm pretty new to this.  Love the video.  That's you and your car correct? 

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 04:41:32 PM »

Yep! It's me and the Barge on a Budget '68 Newport Custom.

You only need to use two front tubes to fill the float bowl--if it is a 4bbl.Common sense will tell you when there is enough in there-it will overflow.A table spoon is not enough to light one plug-let alone 8 in a big block! LOL!!
As bloss mans said,make sure you have lotso battery juice to crank er over.

CBarge2008-05-01 21:44:50
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 04:45:35 PM »

Mmmmmm...  the original AFB. 

Those are cranky after a hibernation.  Raw fuel will help and starting fluid will substitute however don't over do it!

Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »

Several table spoons worth should do the trick.  Once it fires, you have to work the throttle back a forth as needed with your hand.  Sometimes you have to work the choke with your other hand.  (Close and open it as needed)  The Choke will help suck some fuel out of the carb.  It may take a few shots.  Don't expect it to just start if it's dry without some intervention from you.

Before we proceed with this.  How old was the gas in the tank and when did you last run it?  I guess I'm looking to find out if the gas really smelled rotten or just alittle odd.

Doe it still have points or is it modified?  We may need to peek in the cap

There are other things.  If the tank was empty that's good.  If it was full, that's even better.  Storing a car with part of a tank, is not a good idea.  Partial tanks create condensation in the tank.   You may be getting some water with yuor fresh gas.  Add a couple more gallons to it.  You don't need 93 for this, 10:1 compression will run good on middle grade.  At least it will get it started.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 04:51:17 PM »

Quote from: CBarge
Not that it really matters...I would recommend filling up the float bowl in the carb.The engine should run long enough at idle to prime the fuel pump.
There are vent tube(s) at the top of the carb that go to where the float is.Use a small hose/tube/straw and funnel and pour gas in there.Hit the gas and check if the gas squirts into the engine..It squirts? OK,fire 'er up!
You can pour gas down in the carb's butterfly but she will not run long enough.Not to mention flooding it or getting the plugs wet by pouring too much in. 

Don't show him that. . .   You cheated!

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 03:56:16 AM »

I'm rethinking what carb it is.  My manual shows 2bbr and mine has 4bbr.  The gas was really bad bout a year or more older.  Have a service here in FL that works on boat fuel tanks filtering and removing so I had them come take out the old.   My next plan of attack this afternoon is to fill the float and see what happens.  If nothing I will check the fuel pump.  Big worry right now is what polaraco said about the water.  Tank was not full and I know better.    Heck what fun would it be if I didn't make more work for myself?

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 11:55:29 AM »

Put in some ethyl alcohol, ethanol, it will absorb the water - that's
basically what Dry Gas is, alcohol, you can get Dry gas at any parts
store...Me and Uncle just last week started a '39 Olds Straight 8 after
a 6 yr slumber, slosh of gas in the carb, shot of ether, started after
4 revolutions on the old gas and ran fine... brakes  went to the
floor though, that's this week's project... gas only a year or so old
should burn fine,...

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 01:06:49 PM »

[/QUOTE]
Lea, I was expecting you to say something about the uses of duct tape at some point a'la Red Green

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »

Got her going.  As suggested put in the right size battery, yesterday using around 600ccas', today 940cca's. Should have got the 1000 but didn't think it would fit.  Got home and see is would have.  Filled the float bowls from the tubes.  2nd try and veroom. The break did the same thing.  Now I'm really stuck as I may have to do some real thinking and work on her. Chrysler3002008-05-02 18:52:25

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 05:04:48 PM »

Told Ya!
She's alive and that's half the battle.
CBarge2008-05-02 22:05:07
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 09:12:16 AM »

The full monty gang.  Here's what I got under the hood.

1965 383.  84,000 original miles. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC