MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake proportioning valve problems....  (Read 1524 times)

Brian

• View Profile
Brake proportioning valve problems....
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:19:21 PM »

Thanks.
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 03:47:05 PM »

I had always cut and re-flared. Adaptors are ok,but personally I prefer using proper fittings.If you are comfortable with a flare tool,you can make it look "factory stock"
Plus you can say you did all by yerself!
All the lines on the BoaB are hand bent,cut and flared.Yet it looks like factory lines.A labour of love indeed.
Yes,the rear main line can be a PITA to work on.With lots of patience and finesse it can be done.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »

If you don't care and don't have the double flare tool, the adaptor is OK.  However, it is a potential extra point of leakage.  I've never seen one leak, but it could happen. . . .  I am NOT trying to scare you
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 04:32:22 PM »

Well I picked up the fittings for the adaption from the store this evening.  I got one brake 8" brake line, 3/16, to cut in half and bend off the new Prop. valve for the front brakes, and then brass compression union fittings to join the old and new brake lines. 

I will have to re-use the rear brake line piece off the disc brake prop. valve because it's some odd ball metric size that they could not identify or find a fitting comparible.  And then tie into the existing brake line.

I would prefer to rebend the lines to look original and not have the unions but I neither have a bender or flaring tool so this may be my only choice...for now.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 04:37:30 PM »

Hold it   Hold It    Hold It

Never use compression fittings on a brake line.  That is a BIG NO NO

The pressure in the brake lines can exceed 30,000 PSI.  Compression fittings are not rated for that.  If I recall, they are rated for 3000 PSI Burst.  And they are more prone to leak.  This is why it is a double flare and not a single flare.  There is more metal in the fitting and seal.  You'll have to trust me on this

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.  You'd be better off double flaring and using a coupler.

POLARACO2008-04-23 21:39:09

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »

Thanks Steve....This was exactly what was worrying me....I did not think that the compression union fitting would be able to handle the line pressure in the braking system.

This is has been bothering me all evening since I picked up the fittings.

I will see if I can borrow a flaring and bending tool from a buddy and do it right...I'll sleep better if I do anyways....

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 04:42:38 PM »

Phew!

I'll sleep better too.  You're too nice a guy to be sending flowers too.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 05:23:16 PM »

Here in Ontario it is ILLEGAL to use compression unoin fittings on brake lines.One extreme case at my work  a customer's car who's shadetree repair had compression fittings that were leaking and the car had ABS.Car needed other repairs he had no money.
.He was going let his kids ride in the car.NO way we said.We pushed it outside and called the cops and the ministry of transportation for the kid's sake..
I NEVER never ever use any kind of connection on my lines.One line non-stop front to back.
For the cost of  a double flaring tool,do not cheap out on brake lines on a 4,600 pound C.
Go to Princess Auto,Brian and buy one.It is indespensible and very handy to have.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 05:57:55 PM »

I will for sure buy a flaring tool and tube bender...I know I will use them sooner or later...wish my town had a princess auto...I have to drive 30-40 minutes one way, into the next town to go to the princess auto there...

But I will hopefully borrow for now and buy soon...
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 01:44:58 AM »

KD makes a real sweet unit.  It's quite elaborate, but the best one I ever owned.

chuck lowe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 02:55:52 PM »

i have a 60 dart with a front disc brake conversion------installed right off the master i have a wilwood dial in proportioning valve------the reason being is that it still has drums on the rear------------heres how it goes------if you have discs front and drums rear , you need a valve for that application or discs front and rear the same------the  reason being-discs take less hydrolic preasure to operate------so if you have discs front front and drums rear , that's the reason the fittings are different-----------the valves don't have the same application due to pressure differences------------------------------------later
lest we forget

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 03:25:41 PM »

I know a few guys who have used older RWD GM prop valves in disc conversions.  No goofy metric fittings, all SAE 3/16" and 1/4" shtuff. 

OTC makes a nice and simple double flaring kit through it's Stinger line fer around $25 retail.  If I remember well the part number is 4503, 4505 is the metric bubble flare kit.  I've sold and demo'd them both and they are great!
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 10:04:26 PM »

When I did my 73' disc conversion I got rid of the factory drum/drum proportioning valve altogether.  I ran a new line from the master down to a T fitting and hooked up the front brake lines to this T.  I then ran a second line from the master down to a Wilwood adjustable prop valve, then from there to another T fitting where the rear lines were attached. 

The Wilwood valve allows up to a 57% reduction in pressure when turned fully OUT.  After much trial and error I found the best setting for my car was with the valve turned half way IN  for about a 30% reduction in pressure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC